MCW students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barton

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all you MCW students out there:
I have been accepted at MCW, and will be attending there next fall. My family is bugging me about "medical" stuff to get me for x-mas. Any ideas on what type of stuff my family could possibly get me that might be of use next year? I think they've already gotten me some scrubs for anatomy (any color restrictions that you know of?). Do MCW students have to get a diagnostic kit for first year, and if so, what does it entail? Will I need things like a stethoscope, ophthalmoscope, otoscope, reflex hammer, dissection kit, blood pressure cuff, etc? Any brand name suggestions or restrictions? Any help would be much apprectiated, and if I should just wait, or don't need this stuff during first year, knowing that would be helpful too. Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy and stuff.

I've also been accepted to the MCW Class of 2006 (I was accepted last year but decided to defer for a year). Who else is committed to MCW for next fall?

-The Saucy Asian Sensation
-----------------------------------
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!"

-Homer J. Simpson

"If you wear jeans when it's hot, it's hot!"

-B.J., the Philosopher :confused: :D

Me !! Me !! Me !!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm committed for the class of 2006. I am so excited! :)

Congrats guys and gals!

To answer your questions: there are no color restrictions for scrubs in anatomy lab, although the cheaper the better.

The diagnostic kits (most get the Welch Allyn set) are supposedly required, but only about 10% of the class actually gets it, as there will almost never be a time where there won't be on the wall or in the clinic that you can use. There is a certain "cool" factor in that you can show your parents and friends what you can do, but for $400-500, I passed.

You should get a stethoscope, and I like the Littman Cardiology III ($140) although many people also use the Classic II ($80). The acoustics with the Cardiology III are much better to my ears, so you may want to try both before deciding.

Other things that are must haves for first year: Netter's Atlas of Human Anantomy ($60)
Any medical dictionary
A warm coat, gloves, scarf (especially if you're a Cali/Florida transplant!)

Check out my website for the class of 2004:
<a href="http://www.mcwmd.com/2004" target="_blank">http://www.mcwmd.com/2004</a>

I think it is awesome that there are going to be a couple of SDNer's in my class. Look forward to meeting you!

MCWMark,
Thanks so much for the info. My family will be thrilled to be able to give me a med-themed christmas.

To all the other MCW folk,
Look forward to meeting y'all next year!

Just wondering...where are some good places to live near MCW?

Yeah, any recommended places ?
I'm going there this weekend just to check out the city. Are there any housing places that I can/should check out while I'm there ?
Thanks.

I don't live that far from MCW. Finding a nice affordable place to live in the area is actually very easy...if you want to email me, I can give you some specifics as to what areas are affordable and what areas you should stay away from.