MCW vs EVMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bumpsetspike19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both MCW and EVMS and have five days to decide which school I will go to. Background: I am in-state in Virginia. I am interested in dermatology and neurology, and would like to go into academic medicine, so research is very important to me.

MCW:
pros:
-significantly more NIH funded clinical trials
-a larger hospital system
-Children's Wisconsin boasts of being in the top 50 in the country for every sub specialty
-larger city, more to do
-really great tutoring services- I love this because I tend to study best when I can verbally process things
-great matches in the midwest but also throughout the country

cons:
-tuition is $25k more each year ($100k total for four years)
-being from Virginia, I do not know any students at MCW

EVMS:
pros:
-tuition is significantly cheaper (see above)
-impressive community service. I love their emphasis on this!
-I have a better "feel" for EVMS and their community because I am from Virginia
-strong matches in Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina

cons:
-research seems to be more community-based and less bench research
-smaller hospitals

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Usually I would recommend the cheaper state school, but given your interest in research and the fact that youre gunning for derm, MCW is the better choice. The research opportunities are probably far superior and it’s just a higher ranked school (PD and USNews) with great in house residency programs. If you decide research isn’t going to be important for your practice or you’re not interested in a competitive specialty, EVMS still is a decent school that will save you a lot of money.

Reactions: 1 user