MCW vs. NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What would you choose?

• NYMC

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • MCW

Votes: 30 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhawks77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between these two schools. Here is my pro/con list for each school:

MCW- Pros: Cheaper, good curriculum, good reputation, better primary hospital?, good schedule
-Cons: I know no one near or in Milwaukee, didn't get a great "feel" during interview day, have to find an apartment

NYMC- Pros: Close to extended family, good location, student housing, possibility to live in NYC during clerkships
-Cons: Not a great reputation, more expensive (total of $10000/year difference), a more traditional curriculum

Any help/insight would be appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, can anyone tell me if their will be any difference in the clinical training at either school?

I am leaning towards NYMC because the class seemed closer, I would have support from family, and I think I will be happier their. Can people give me reasons for why they would choose either school

Also, can anyone tell me if their will be any difference in the clinical training at either school?

I am leaning towards NYMC because the class seemed closer, I would have support from family, and I think I will be happier their. Can people give me reasons for why they would choose either school
if I had a choice between two schools, one of which was near family and the other not, I would choose to be closer to family. MCW is starting a new curriculum this year that will give earlier clinical exposure, but you're going to get a great education no matter where you are. and in four years you're going to have an MD regardless of which school you end up choosing, so in the end I think you should go with your gut, if you didn't get a good feel from MCW that day, or are unsure about it, I'd say go to NYMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to decide between these two schools. Here is my pro/con list for each school:

MCW- Pros: Cheaper, good curriculum, good reputation, better primary hospital?, good schedule
-Cons: I know no one near or in Milwaukee, didn't get a great "feel" during interview day, have to find an apartment

NYMC- Pros: Close to extended family, good location, student housing, possibility to live in NYC during clerkships
-Cons: Not a great reputation, more expensive (total of $10000/year difference), a more traditional curriculum

Any help/insight would be appreciated!!!

Why doesn't NYMC have a good reputation? I've never heard that. I'd go with NYMC if it's close to your family. It has a better location and it probably gives you an advantage if you're planning to match somewhere on the east coast instead of the midwest.

Why doesn't NYMC have a good reputation? I've never heard that. I'd go with NYMC if it's close to your family. It has a better location and it probably gives you an advantage if you're planning to match somewhere on the east coast instead of the midwest.

I am basing that purely off of the US news rankings

I am basing that purely off of the US news rankings

These are based primarily off NIH funding. NYMC does not have a reputation for research, this is true. :) But I am unaware that it has a poor reputation overall. Many schools have good reputations but low research funding.

These are based primarily off NIH funding. NYMC does not have a reputation for research, this is true. :) But I am unaware that it has a poor reputation overall. Many schools have good reputations but low research funding.

Yeah I know that but sometimes it is hard to just forget about rankings (I try and really don't care). I guess my concern is the clinical training will be different. MCW has their own academic hospital and NYMC has 20+ hospitals of which 2 are academic.

I'm a second year at MCW. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to try to answer them for you although we have finals in a week so a PM might be the easiest way to reach me.

I will say though, that I chose MCW for two reasons:
1-I did get a great "feel" on interview day. I really liked it when I interviewed here.
2-Cost (remember 10k/yr is 40,000 plus interest and I think NYMC was actually cheaper then the other private schools on the East Coast I got into and equivalent to the state school).

I am also from the East Coast and although I don't regret choosing MCW and am very happy with the school and pleasantly surprised by Milwaukee (although the weather sucks and it's still nowhere near NYC level), sometimes I do regret not going closer to home. That is, I'm very happy with my decision based on the school itself, but sometimes I'm jealous when a friend goes home for a weekend or a parent from someone who's super close to home brings them food for the week and those things can't happen for me.

I think you just have to go with your gut. Both (like all med schools) are good schools and you'll get a good education at either but they definitely have very different feels.

I've heard a lot of good things about MCW, and I've heard mixed/negative things about NYMC. So I'd argue MCW has a reasonably better rep... Besides, wasn't NYMC recently bought by Touro? Tough to say if that would affect you as an NYMC student, but my knee-jerk reaction is to avoid all things named "Touro."

But gossip aside, if having extended family close is important to you than I'd say NYMC is just fine. Sure, the MCW hospital system is probably better and may provide more enjoyable clinical training, but you can still succeed from NYMC, and the difference in reputation is not big enough to lose sleep over.

Status
Not open for further replies.