MCW vs SLU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school would you rather go?

• Medical College of Wisconsin

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • Saint Louis University

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters

BAM!

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since you guys are seasoned veterans, if you could choose, where would you go?

Members don't see this ad.

BAM! said:
Since you guys are seasoned veterans, if you could choose, where would you go?

I interviewed at SLU, MCW, VCU, and RF. I ended up picking MCW. It all came down to my impressions of the schools when I visited them. None of the schools outrank each other enough to decide based on that(in my opinion).

SLU has block scheduling, was right in the middle of St. Louis, looked a little run down(the section I was in anyway but I think they were building something new), and as expected, put somewhat of an emphasis on the Catholic religion(there were crosses hanging in the lunch area and students mentioned visiting with the school priest for advice).

MCW has traditional scheduling, was in a suburb of Milwaukee, had nice facilities, friendly students, and didn't make you meet until 12(I know stupid reason, but for a night owl this was a plus).

Anyway, I think you can get a good education at either school, just pick the one that fits you best. For example, some may think that going to school in a suburb is boring, but for me its one of the things I love about MCW- I'm older, married, and really wanted to buy a house. Downtown Milwaukee is just a few minutes away if I want to go there. I am from the D.C. area, and I don't miss the traffic or the outrageous housing prices! :)

luvmykitties said:
I interviewed at SLU, MCW, VCU, and RF. I ended up picking MCW. It all came down to my impressions of the schools when I visited them. None of the schools outrank each other enough to decide based on that(in my opinion).

SLU has block scheduling, was right in the middle of St. Louis, looked a little run down(the section I was in anyway but I think they were building something new), and as expected, put somewhat of an emphasis on the Catholic religion(there were crosses hanging in the lunch area and students mentioned visiting with the school priest for advice).

MCW has traditional scheduling, was in a suburb of Milwaukee, had nice facilities, friendly students, and didn't make you meet until 12(I know stupid reason, but for a night owl this was a plus).

Anyway, I think you can get a good education at either school, just pick the one that fits you best. For example, some may think that going to school in a suburb is boring, but for me its one of the things I love about MCW- I'm older, married, and really wanted to buy a house. Downtown Milwaukee is just a few minutes away if I want to go there. I am from the D.C. area, and I don't miss the traffic or the outrageous housing prices! :)

congrats on the acceptance!! There are a bunch of us M1s that float around here if you or the OP have specific questions

I am a SLU student myself, therefore I will speak towards SLU. Contrary to the other post, there is no emphasis on Catholicism or religion. Since it is a Jesuit University, there is a Catholic presence (e.g. Campus Minister, Chapel, Services available). There is no pressure to become involved with the faith whatsoever, but it is certainly an option for those interested.

It is in St. Louis City proper, very close to downtown. Positives are that there is a ton of rich history present (architecture, residents, culture, etc), there is a fair amount of ethnic diversity considering this is the midwest, zoo and museums are great and FREE. Also, there are many social events that occur throughout the year both within a particular class and intra-classes, so you will get to meet many students in all the other classes. The town itself is a great sports town, if you are into that. Some negatives: being in the city means there is crime present, but awareness is basically all that is necessary. No need to bar your doors (depending on where you live, as is the case just about anywhere).

The curriculum itself is very strong these days. The block format is perfect for most students (less than 5% fail step I). Speaking to third years tells me that SLU does a good job of preparing students for clinicals, as well. Overall, if I had to choose a school again, I would still pick SLU.

There is lots to say, but I'll stop here. Hope that helps.