Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MCW vs UIC (UPR)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by RunMD, May 5, 2007.

1. RunMD

RunMD Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    I am deciding between MCW and UIC at the Urbana-Champaign campus and then either Peoria or Rockford. I am an Illinois resident, so UIC had seemed like it would be an easy choice before I found out that I would not be in Chicago. A lot of the positive things I have heard about UIC are diversity in patient base and great clinical exposure, however, i figure this is only if you are placed in the Chicago campus. Am I right? So with the choices 1)where would I recieve better clinical exposure 2)how much more on average would MCW cost me with the in state tuition at UIC and 3)which school is more prestigous, although i figure they are abou the same. Any other information would be great. Thanks in advance for the input. May 15th is approaching!!:scared:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PlayMeSomeMusic

PlayMeSomeMusic Always waiting...
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    I vote MCW.. lol but i'm still waiting to hear from UIC so I'm biased :D Help a girl out

4. HreComesTheSun

Medical Student
    not trying to be mean or anything, but if you are deciding between these schools, how in the world do you not know the costs of tuition yourself???

these schools are relatively similar as far as prestige, just go to the cheaper one

5. Critical Mass

Medical Student
  6. WCGee

WCGee Super Awesome Person

Medical Student
    I'm still deciding also, but MCW's still a possibility--I withdrew from UI-Rockford last week...

7. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    MCW will run you about $35K per year, your clinical exposure will be pretty significant. We're a magnet for quite a wide area, and there is QUITE the underserved urban population in this city. Prestige is probably about the same, but practically everyone from around here went to MCW.

8. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved

Go to UIC, whether you're assigned to the Peoria or Rockford track. Try the search function and you'll find a lot of additional information about both UIC-PR and MCW.

9. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California

Attending Physician
    Rockford has some great clinical exposure, as you apparently work very closely with physicians there. Since there aren't a lot of residencies there, a lot of your clerkships become de facto sub-internships.

That said, visit Rockford first. I was assigned Rockford and went to look at the town to see if it would be a compatible fit for my wife and I and decided it wasn't. I was quite impressed with Milwaukee on the other hand.

10. cal_girl

cal_girl Member

Medical Student
    I would go for MCW.