MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mijmaj

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys! I recently got an acceptance from Texas Tech El Paso as OOS. I am ultimately looking to match in a competitive specialty (derm, rads etc) in Texas. Edit: I am also on the waitlist at Texas Tech Lubbock. I really prefer Lubbock over El paso. Since I have an OOS acceptance at MCW, I wasn't sure if I should take the risk of rejecting the El Paso offer and instead wait to see if I get off the waitlist at Lubbock. Is this a good idea/worth the risk?

Texas El Paso:

Pros:
Cheaper tuition (34 k vs 54k at MCW)
Might help me match in Texas later on
Weather
Family will be about 11 hrs away

Cons:
Fewer research opportunities
Lower ranked
Newer school
Might be difficult to match into a competitive specialty

MCW:
Pros:
Better ranked, more established
Good match list
Better research opportunities

Cons:
Weather
Higher tuition
No family
Might be difficult to match into texas residencies (regional bias)

Any and all input/advice is highly appreciated! Thanks in advance
Hmmm...The way Texas schools typically operate is that if you hold an acceptance at another Texas institution after May 15th, you are no longer considered at other Texas schools, even if you are WL, that participate in TMDSAS. I know that is the rule for IS but I don't know for OOS. Perhaps @wysdoc can clarify if the same rules apply for OOS acceptances to TMDSAS participating institutions and chime in on your post.

Also I don't think its worth the risk. Yes, Lubbock is a great program, but so is El Paso. I wouldn't rely on coming off the WL as a reason to reject or accept another school. At the end of the day, it isn't an acceptance.
It seems like you want to match into a Texas residency later on. You can make more connections by attending medical school in Texas. I would check and see whose match lists (El paso vs MCW) had students placed into Texas residencies. I can say El Paso has placed more students into Texas residencies than MCW. I cant speak on the placement of competitive specialties however.

But it is also good to note that both are great schools and if you want to match at a competitive residency, I think its more about what you put in during your four years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I couldn't find MCW's 2020 match list, but as far as I could tell on their website for 2019, they had no dermatology matches and 3 to radiology. El Paso had 2 dermatology, 3 radiology this year. Basically they're the same, but if you want to stay in Texas, El Paso seems like a no-brainer, especially with the price.

Reactions: 2 users
Hmmm...they way texas schools typically operate is that if you hold an acceptance at another Texas institution after May 15th, you are no longer considered at other Texas schools, even if you are WL, that participate in TMDSAS. I know that is the rule for IS but I don't know for OOS. Perhaps @wysdoc can clarify if the same rules apply for OOS acceptances to TMDSAS participating institutions and chime in on your post.

Also I don't think its worth the risk. Yes, Lubbock is a great program, but so is El Paso. I wouldn't rely on coming off the WL as a reason to reject or accept another school. At the end of the day, it isn't an acceptance.
It seems like you want to match into a Texas residency later on. You can make more connections by attending medical school in Texas. I would check and see whose match lists (El paso vs MCW) had students placed into Texas residencies. I can say El Paso has placed more students into Texas residencies than MCW. I cant speak on the placement of competitive specialties however.

But it is also good to note that both are great schools and if you want to match at a competitive residency, I think its more about what you put in during your four years.
It's too late to drop a Texas admit spot to be eligible for another Texas WL offer. You could have played that card before May 15th.
Your comparison now is between El Paso and MCW. It's a personal choice for you as the schools and climate are so different.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses guys!! I noticed that I forgot to clarify, I received an offer of acceptance from Texas tech El paso but I haven't yet decided. Which is why I was thinking I could still reject that offer and wait for Lubbock (but like you guys said, that would be a risk and I might not get off). I have only 2 days left to decide!! Sorry, I should have made that clear!
What is running through my mind right now is that with step 1 becoming p/f is there a large difference in rankings between MCW(I think its about 54ish) vs El Paso (110ish) or would they be considered pretty much the same?
If I do attend MCW, would it make it harder for me to match to Texas later on as opposed to attending El Paso?

Thanks for the responses guys!! I noticed that I forgot to clarify, I received an offer of acceptance from Texas tech El paso but I haven't yet decided. Which is why I was thinking I could still reject that offer and wait for Lubbock (but like you guys said, that would be a risk and I might not get off). I have only 2 days left to decide!! Sorry, I should have made that clear!
What is running through my mind right now is that with step 1 becoming p/f is there a large difference in rankings between MCW(I think its about 54ish) vs El Paso (110ish) or would they be considered pretty much the same?
If I do attend MCW, would it make it harder for me to match to Texas later on as opposed to attending El Paso?
Your chances of getting 2 WL offers within the remaining short time period are pretty tiny, so don't consider that a very likely scenario. I know, you didn't think getting the El Paso offer was likely either! You could wait until the last day to give an answer to El Paso.
You can apply to residencies any place in the country that you want.

It seems like if you want to match to Texas, Texas Tech > MCW. Cheaper tuition will give you flexibility down the line. Where do you want to live for 4 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.