Hmmm...The way Texas schools typically operate is that if you hold an acceptance at another Texas institution after May 15th, you are no longer considered at other Texas schools, even if you are WL, that participate in TMDSAS. I know that is the rule for IS but I don't know for OOS. Perhaps @wysdoc can clarify if the same rules apply for OOS acceptances to TMDSAS participating institutions and chime in on your post.Hi guys! I recently got an acceptance from Texas Tech El Paso as OOS. I am ultimately looking to match in a competitive specialty (derm, rads etc) in Texas. Edit: I am also on the waitlist at Texas Tech Lubbock. I really prefer Lubbock over El paso. Since I have an OOS acceptance at MCW, I wasn't sure if I should take the risk of rejecting the El Paso offer and instead wait to see if I get off the waitlist at Lubbock. Is this a good idea/worth the risk?
Texas El Paso:
Cheaper tuition (34 k vs 54k at MCW)
Might help me match in Texas later on
Family will be about 11 hrs away
Fewer research opportunities
Might be difficult to match into a competitive specialty
Better ranked, more established
Good match list
Better research opportunities
Might be difficult to match into texas residencies (regional bias)
Any and all input/advice is highly appreciated! Thanks in advance
It's too late to drop a Texas admit spot to be eligible for another Texas WL offer. You could have played that card before May 15th.Hmmm...they way texas schools typically operate is that if you hold an acceptance at another Texas institution after May 15th, you are no longer considered at other Texas schools, even if you are WL, that participate in TMDSAS. I know that is the rule for IS but I don't know for OOS. Perhaps @wysdoc can clarify if the same rules apply for OOS acceptances to TMDSAS participating institutions and chime in on your post.
Also I don't think its worth the risk. Yes, Lubbock is a great program, but so is El Paso. I wouldn't rely on coming off the WL as a reason to reject or accept another school. At the end of the day, it isn't an acceptance.
It seems like you want to match into a Texas residency later on. You can make more connections by attending medical school in Texas. I would check and see whose match lists (El paso vs MCW) had students placed into Texas residencies. I can say El Paso has placed more students into Texas residencies than MCW. I cant speak on the placement of competitive specialties however.
But it is also good to note that both are great schools and if you want to match at a competitive residency, I think its more about what you put in during your four years.
Your chances of getting 2 WL offers within the remaining short time period are pretty tiny, so don't consider that a very likely scenario. I know, you didn't think getting the El Paso offer was likely either! You could wait until the last day to give an answer to El Paso.Thanks for the responses guys!! I noticed that I forgot to clarify, I received an offer of acceptance from Texas tech El paso but I haven't yet decided. Which is why I was thinking I could still reject that offer and wait for Lubbock (but like you guys said, that would be a risk and I might not get off). I have only 2 days left to decide!! Sorry, I should have made that clear!
What is running through my mind right now is that with step 1 becoming p/f is there a large difference in rankings between MCW(I think its about 54ish) vs El Paso (110ish) or would they be considered pretty much the same?
If I do attend MCW, would it make it harder for me to match to Texas later on as opposed to attending El Paso?