MD-Admitted Native Americans or other URM's-- what kind of questions were you asked during interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yepanotherpmed

Reaction score
Since I wrote about being NA in my essays, I know it's fair game to ask me about anything related to being a NA.

This question is only for URM's! What kind of interview questions did you get about being a URM?

Members don't see this ad.

You might get more responses if we move this to the Underrepresented in Healthcare forum:

There's a thread their about the 2021-2022 cycle where you could hear about current experiences. If you'd like to have it moved, please tag a moderator or just report my post and ask for it to be moved.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of my activities, and a major part of my essays, mentioned the challenges I've faced as both an immigrant and a minority. Naturally, most of my interviews asked me questions related to these topics. Questions ranged from academic settings, personal life, future goals, etc. Basically, if you wrote about it and it seems to be a major part of your narrative, you will get questions related to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can reach out to Native American medical students through their national organization to get a better idea: ANAMS

Unless someone is letting their own personal curiosity get away from them, you won't get probing, detailed questions about your identity. Rather, they will ask you about your experiences in your community that were described in your essay topics. Expect for questions to be open-ended and general. For example, I was asked what drew me to medicine, and then talked about growing up in a critically underserved area.

Last edited:
You can reach out to Native American medical students through their national organization to get a better idea: ANAMS

Unless someone is letting their own personal curiosity get away from them, you won't get probing, detailed questions about your identity. Rather, they will ask you about your experiences in your community that were described in your essay topics. Expect for questions to be open-ended and general. For example, I was asked what drew me to medicine, and then talked about growing up in a critically underserved area.
Regarding ANAMS -- where do I find those students' contact information or how do I talk to them?
I can't find any information on their website, and I would have to be a current med student to have access to the community.

A lot of my activities, and a major part of my essays, mentioned the challenges I've faced as both an immigrant and a minority. Naturally, most of my interviews asked me questions related to these topics. Questions ranged from academic settings, personal life, future goals, etc. Basically, if you wrote about it and it seems to be a major part of your narrative, you will get questions related to it.
Thank you!

You might get more responses if we move this to the Underrepresented in Healthcare forum:

There's a thread their about the 2021-2022 cycle where you could hear about current experiences. If you'd like to have it moved, please tag a moderator or just report my post and ask for it to be moved.
Okay, thank you. Can you please move it for me?

Regarding ANAMS -- where do I find those students' contact information or how do I talk to them?
I can't find any information on their website, and I would have to be a current med student to have access to the community.
Leadership — ANAMS several members have posted their contact information here