MD (almost guaranteed spot at UMASS the following year) or start right away at a decent DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Msantac2

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm currently trying to make a decision and would like some input. OK so UMASS has basically accepted me into post-bacc program which is one year long. This program grants me conditional acceptance to their medical school the following year (given I pass the course work). The acceptance rate on the post-bacc varies with some years having 100% acceptance rate (4 out of 4 students) and with other years having a 75% (3 out of 4 students) acceptance rate. I would basically be taking half of the courses with the first-year medical students to ensure I can handle the rigor or medical school. I have also been accepted into 3 DO programs (NYITCOM, NSUCOM, and CUSOM). Out of these three DO programs I choose NYITCOM because of it's reputable match list and rates and the location is very close to home (boyfriend, friends, and family = huge support system).

With everything taken into account I'm leaning towards the UMASS program because from what I've been told from friends in UMASS who have gone through the program that if you work hard and are really dedicated you should get in without a problem. I can't help and worry that I may go through the program and give up my seats at these DO schools and not get into UMASS. Also is it really worth postponing starting my first year of medical school just to get an MD instead of a DO?

I thought I'd be fine going the DO route and was coming to terms with it but now that this opportunity has come up I'm just not sure what to do.

Also my stats are: cum GPA 3.65, science GPA 3.50 (strong upwards trend my last two years of ugrad), MCAT: 505

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!

I'm currently trying to make a decision and would like some input. OK so UMASS has basically accepted me into post-bacc program which is one year long. This program grants me conditional acceptance to their medical school the following year (given I pass the course work). The acceptance rate on the post-bacc varies with some years having 100% acceptance rate (4 out of 4 students) and with other years having a 75% (3 out of 4 students) acceptance rate. I would basically be taking half of the courses with the first-year medical students to ensure I can handle the rigor or medical school. I have also been accepted into 3 DO programs (NYITCOM, NSUCOM, and CUSOM). Out of these three DO programs I choose NYITCOM because of it's reputable match list and rates and the location is very close to home (boyfriend, friends, and family = huge support system).

With everything taken into account I'm leaning towards the UMASS program because from what I've been told from friends in UMASS who have gone through the program that if you work hard and are really dedicated you should get in without a problem. I can't help and worry that I may go through the program and give up my seats at these DO schools and not get into UMASS. Also is it really worth postponing starting my first year of medical school just to get an MD instead of a DO?

I thought I'd be fine going the DO route and was coming to terms with it but now that this opportunity has come up I'm just not sure what to do.

Also my stats are: cum GPA 3.65, science GPA 3.50 (strong upwards trend my last two years of ugrad), MCAT: 505

Go to NYITCOM

If you blow this SMP, you’re out even more money, blew your chances at DO, and then you’ll have mediocre SMP grades following you around (plus a below average MCAT) if it didn’t work out.

Reactions: 1 user
I would go to UMASS. Getting an MD at a good school will help with residency prospects. Having to wait an extra year nothing in the grand scheme of things. Go where you'd be happier and achieve your goals to the fullest extent.

Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
UMass 100%, it's first and foremost a fantastic program, if you know yourself and believe that you can keep up with the work of their postbacc program, then I would 100% go for it.
If you can't or don't want to pay the tuition for the postbacc program/dont care about MD vs DO (and you shouldnt) / or just want to get started with school right away then go NYITCOM

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, getting a UMASS MD would be better position in the end IF you are accepted and IF you make it thru the program and IF they dont have something like a minimum MCAT score requiring a retake and IF you dont make it, you would have spent significant money on an SMP, gave up seats at a DO, lost a year actually two, and now be in much worse situation to reapply then you are today. A lotta BIG IFs in that scenario over a sure thing in a seat in NYIT.
so the min MCAT you need on the retake is a 500 which I have surpassed prior to even starting the program. I'm confident if I studied more/more effectively I could get beyond a 505.

Yes, getting a UMASS MD would be better position in the end IF you are accepted and IF you make it thru the program and IF they dont have something like a minimum MCAT score requiring a retake and IF you dont make it, you would have spent significant money on an SMP, gave up seats at a DO, lost a year actually two, and now be in much worse situation to reapply then you are today. A lotta BIG IFs in that scenario over a sure thing in a seat in NYIT.
also 7.5k doesn't seem like a significant amount of money relative to how much med school cost. I think 7.5k added to whatever my 200k+ loan is won't make that much of a difference. Also the program is designed to help you get in. They want you to get in and I really think it's up to you to take advantage and stay motivated throughout the whole thing.

I think you should go DO. It’s guaranteed.
But it sounds like you already subconsciously made up your mind.

“Screw this stupid bird in my hand, that bird over there in the bush looks tastier” - said the hungry guy yesterday

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Can't you theoretically defer the DO acceptance and try your hand at UMASS ? If you don't get in... then you have the DO acceptance to fall back on?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't you theoretically defer the DO acceptance and try your hand at UMASS ? If you don't get in... then you have the DO acceptance to fall back on?
I can technically can do that lol. If I were to end up doing the program at UMASS that's how I would go about it.

These schools aren’t stupid. Ive seen people comment in here that terms of you deferral are that you don’t apply anywhere else. You also tend to need some extenuating circumstance to do so.

Reactions: 4 users
These schools aren’t stupid. Ive seen people comment in here that terms of you deferral are that you don’t apply anywhere else. You also tend to need some extenuating circumstance to do so.

Ah OK. That makes sense. I just wondered why applicants don't do that...

so the min MCAT you need on the retake is a 500 which I have surpassed prior to even starting the program. I'm confident if I studied more/more effectively I could get beyond a 505.
you have to retake the MCAT for the post-bac?

If the minimum you need is a 500 and you got a 505.... why would you retake?

If you have interests in competitive fields and/or academic medicine, it will be worth it to wait a year and get an MD. If your answer is no to both of those, go for the DO.

How much does this post-bacc cost? What will the cost difference be between 5 yrs at UMASS versus 4 yrs at the DO school?

Reactions: 1 users
I would roll the dice on the MD spot, personally. I say that as someone at a DO school now - I really regret not putting more effort into my undergrad because I'm paying it back 5x over now.

If you have to retake the MCAT and/or have to get above a certain GPA then take the DO. If it's just a "come do these classes and don't fail anything and you're in" type thing then go to UMASS

Reactions: 5 users
Go MD! This seems like a really great opportunity, especially with such high acceptance rates following the postbacc program.

Hi all!

Go with U Mass. I'd rather your seat go to someone who wants to be a doctor right now.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I’d say yes but only b/c it’s UMASS which is not just any medical school, but a decently reputable one. If it were any other MD I probably would’ve gone for the DO program.

Last edited:
Go to UMass and work very hard. It's a great medical school! You'll have a rigorous introduction to MS1 material and will be set up to succeed as an MS1. Use your advisors and tutors if you're struggling.

I’d say yes but only b/c it’s UMASS which is not just any medical school, but a decently reputable one. If it were any other medical school I probably would’ve gone for the DO program.
Actually, seeing as your MCAT is a 505 (quick look at UMASS’s class profile shows me that average matriculant stats are 513/3.73) i would have a candid conversation w the program director about whether your chances are greatly diminished with that MCAT score or whether your decision will rely heavily on your post-bacc performance. Statistically (as in, by random roll of the dice) you’re more likely to get in than not, but on an individual level, you could be at a big disadvantage, you could be that one person who doesn’t get in. It can only help you if you inquire further.

Being from the tristate area, I have a few friends at NYIT. From what i hear, NYIT is a very solid program and if I had the bird in the hand i would likely take it. Good luck!!

ALL of them do?

Im gonna look at it this way..
Deferrals tend to not be easy to come by in the first place. So, what do you do in this scenario when your only reasoning is you’d rather be an MD? Do you lie?

Im gonna look at it this way..
Deferrals tend to not be easy to come by in the first place. So, what do you do in this scenario when your only reasoning is you’d rather be an MD? Do you lie?

Nah. Definitely do not lie.

Don't underestimate how nice it could be to be close to family and your significant other. Even if both paths lead to being a doctor, one path might make you a lot happier

Reactions: 3 users
If it was me, I’d bet on myself and choose umass. If you had to retake and get a 500 that’s pretty easy considering you already got a 505 and probably know more now.

If it's truly a "pass and you're in" situation, then I'd go UMASS. The coursework will be similar anyway and you'd definitely have a leg up come MS1, plus an MD and wider options. Plus, there's lots to like about Worcester.

And the reason for deferral would be what? I want to apply to a better medical school?

I think you have me confused with the OP. Either way, I don’t think people need to share their reasons for deferral with you.

Regardless

• Haha
it was a question to you (as you have been replying) and the thread. Schools are loath to hand out deferrals so what could the OP give for this possible request

No clue. He shouldn’t lie so... he’s kind of stuck.

I have a friend who is deferring to apply MD early decision. I tried to tell him otherwise but

If you reject the current offer, Next year if you dont make it, you are pretty much backlisted in all DO schools..
Do what makes sense to you.. Unless you have a written agreement offer, you really dont have an offer.
What did you write in your personal statement for the DO school admission? It seems like the letters MD matters to you, give that DO seat to another person who really wants to be a DO.

Do UMASS, come out ahead of this. I was blessed with multiple MD acceptances, but i received two conditional acceptances from WMU and Ohio St....and had I received only DO - I 100% would've taken the Ohio St offer.....if i had a new low tier MD acceptance, i would've still chosen Ohio St's offer. I know you're turning down an offer but at least for me I wouldn't have been in med school if i hadn't taken crazy, and yes crazy risks. Follow your heart and you may very well come out ahead.

If you can't hack the UMass program then you won't hack NYITCOM.

Take the conditional acceptance and work your tail off. You aren't losing a year, you're investing time to have more options down the road.

Reactions: 7 users
MemeLoveTriangle_297886754.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
In the end, I would not give up a guaranteed spot. You can get started on the career path you want to sooner rather than forcing yourself through a postbach. The "advantage" you may get with an MD would really only apply to a very select few programs/specialties. Plus the support system you have set up would be good for your mental health as long as you can balance med school without the support becoming a distraction. Personally, I would go to NY and invest the 7.5k so you have some money working for you. In the end it is your choice and no one can make it for you, but don't stress too much over it. Sounds like you've set yourself up very nicely.

SMP every day and twice on Sundays. This is the clear option, hands down.

1. MD >> DO in terms of career prospects. I don’t know if it is fair, but it’s just how the world works. This isn’t for a “select few specialties”, this is for almost every specialty. If you want to match into a top program, desirable locale, competitive specialty, etc MD will help tremendously.

2. Think of SMP like gaming the system. You’ll have the opportunity to prestudy for med school and thus STEP1 before even entering med school. Given how important that exam is to the rest of your med school career and life, this is invaluable.

3. As wisely stated above, if you can’t hack the SMP, you aren’t fit for med school. You got into a med school this cycle, which means you have what it takes. So just go ahead kill the SMP, and wind up at UMASS (which, btw, is a phenomenal, heavily underrated school).

Hope this helps, and best of luck

SMP every day and twice on Sundays. This is the clear option, hands down.

1. MD >> DO in terms of career prospects. I don’t know if it is fair, but it’s just how the world works. This isn’t for a “select few specialties”, this is for almost every specialty. If you want to match into a top program, desirable locale, competitive specialty, etc MD will help tremendously.

2. Think of SMP like gaming the system. You’ll have the opportunity to prestudy for med school and thus STEP1 before even entering med school. Given how important that exam is to the rest of your med school career and life, this is invaluable.

3. As wisely stated above, if you can’t hack the SMP, you aren’t fit for med school. You got into a med school this cycle, which means you have what it takes. So just go ahead kill the SMP, and wind up at UMASS (which, btw, is a phenomenal, heavily underrated school).

Hope this helps, and best of luck
With combined residency programs, MD vs DO is starting to matter less and less with each passing year. There are plenty of DO schools that are leagues ahead of other MD schools in terms of quality. Unless you want to match derm, plastics, or neurosurg, I wouldn't worry about it. After all, the letters behind your name don't matter as much as how well you preform as a physician. People tend to be too competative and worry about getting into the most competitive specialties/residency here but the OP has never said a specialty of interest yet unless I missed that. Who knows maybe the OP really wants to be a rural famprac. There's nothing wrong with that and there's no reason to think that having an MD will put you in better standing for that career choice. You can still ace your comlex and step1 as a DO if you're really that concerned about those more competitive specialties.