MD and MD/PhD Admissions Statistics for 13 different schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradient Echo

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found an internal document (memo) on my computer from Stanford University School of Medicine that I downloaded from a thread on SDN several months ago.

It contains the following info:

1) Detailed info on Stanford's admissions screening and breakdown of their process

2) Summary of national applicant pool statistics, including yearly breakdowns of race, gender, MCAT, GPA, and acceptances

3) Stanford med admissions statistics

4) Breakdown of MD vs MD/PhD admissions statistics including interviews granted, total acceptance offers, and total matriculants at 13 different schools (including Stanford)

I browsed this document before but didnt read it all the way thru to realize that #4 was included. On another thread, several people wanted to know the statistical differences between MD and MD/PhD admissions. Although this only covers 13 schools, it does shed some light on the issue and is more detailed than any other info available.

I tried to find the original URL link on the internet but couldnt locate it. I also tried searching the SDN archives but couldnt find it there either. So I can email it people if they want it, just post a message on this thread and i'll try to do it as soon as i can. I hope somebody will post this on a website so everybody can get an inside glimpse, but then again this is an internal document so I'm not sure what the legal ramifications are.

If anybody finds the internet link, please post it

Members don't see this ad.

Oh by the way, the data from the 13 schools confirms the common belief that, from a sheer numbers perspective, MD/PhD applicants have a higher interview and acceptance rate than straight MD applicants.

I put together a spreadsheet of the data so you can manipulate it, do graphs of different things if you wish. I'll email that if anybody wants to analyze the numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah thats the document, the MD/PhD stuff is on page 12.

Some interesting stats:

I noticed that it lists Hopkins as matriculating only 6 MSTPers in 2001, but I know for a fact that this year they accepted 31 people and 13 matriculated. I was almost sure that they accepted 10-12 people last year but I have to talk to the administration and double check this number.

The number of MSTP applicants among the schools varied from 74 (Duke) to 408 (Hopkins)

Pittsburgh interviewed the highest proportion of its MD/PhD applicants (52%) and Hopkins interviewed the lowest (14%)

The percentage of MSTP applicants accepted ranged from 3.7% (Harvard) to 28% (Case Western)

The percentage of MSTP applicants who matriculated at each school ranged from 24% (Hopkins) to 100% (Duke) :eek:

Yeah, Pitt is strange like that. I think that this year they interviewed less of their applicants (maybe around 30% or so), but they brought almost everyone back (expenses paid) for their second-look. I heard that a lot of the people they ended up accepting didn't even go to the second-look. Very strange. I'm not exactly sure what the thinking was there, but I wonder if they will have to scale back a bit this year to recoup expenses. :confused:

I think that Case's acceptance rate was probably pretty high up there again. I don't think it was that high though. They got themselves into trouble one year with a high-acceptance rate. They overshot their desired class size by seven or something :eek:

I remember seeing these files a year or two ago; I think the actual data is from ~ '97 or '98. So, things may have changed somewhat since the time these statistic were compiled.

Hi Gradient info,

I would love that info if yo can send it to me.

thanks!!

I got it
thanks

Hey, I was just wondering if I could get a copy of that Data as well, that kind of stuff is super tough to find! Thanks!

I'm sure admissions has changed a lot over the past 6+ years

edit: You probably know that, sorry I'm captain obvious and this was unhelpful

hey atma, don't sweat it, people in the md/phd forum are nice and wont' jump down your throat.

can i see it too please?

Hi,

Could you send me a copy of the file also?

Thanks!

maybe we should pm Gradient Echo - it's been almost five years.

I've got bad news for you all; Gradient Echo hasn't logged on to SDN in nearly a year. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for this document. And yeah, this thread is five years old. I think even if you got the document, it's a little outdated. I'm going to go ahead and close the thread so people don't keep thinking there's anything to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.