MD Applicant Cycle 2020 - How should I update schools on my Fall 2019 Grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentDoctorUsername

Reaction score
Currently, I am attempting to share my Fall 2019 grades with medical schools that have not extended me interviews after I completed secondaries. Unfortunately, I already sent them both a 'Letters of Interest' and 'Activities Update' (research) earlier in the year either via application portal or email. I know that 'Letters of Interest' are usually where you want to mention updated grades.

How do you think I should go about informing them of my grades: uploading an official transcript to my portal? The downside I see to this is that AMCAS won't verify it, so do medical schools even care?

Thanks for the help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Currently, I am attempting to share my Fall 2019 grades with medical schools that have not extended me interviews after I completed secondaries. Unfortunately, I already sent them both a 'Letters of Interest' and 'Activities Update' (research) earlier in the year either via application portal or email. I know that 'Letters of Interest' are usually where you want to mention updated grades.

How do you think I should go about informing them of my grades: uploading an official transcript to my portal? The downside I see to this is that AMCAS won't verify it, so do medical schools even care?

At this stage in the game, adding grades to your application will not really move the needle (especially pre-interview).

Reactions: 3 users
TBH, for the most part, the schools bend over backwards to create a level, fair playing field for everyone. After interviews, some make no secret of their desire for demonstrations of interest (presumably so they can goose yield), but they do this for everyone, not a select few candidates. Likewise, most schools welcome significant activities updates.

I am pretty sure that schools that don't ask for grades updates don't want grades updates, and giving them one won't give you any boost at all because other candidates didn't get their grades in front of the adcom (because they didn't ask for them). I totally get that you don't want to leave any stone unturned, but, with 5 As, you are in great shape, so I wouldn't stress about this.

Feel free to do whatever you think you have to, but @Engrailed is right, and your Fall 2019 grades aren't going to get you a single II you weren't already getting because if the schools wanted them they'd have everyone who didn't already receive an II upload them, just like UG schools do before making admission decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)

What will your Fall 2019 grades add to your overall application? Are you undergoing GPA repair?

Reactions: 1 user
What will your Fall 2019 grades add to your overall application? Are you undergoing GPA repair?
It doesn't change my GPA, but I guess it shows consistency. I am mainly asking because I noticed Iowa's Carver College of Medicine asked for an update on their secondary application webpage where I manually inputted my Fall 2019 classes and grades.

It doesn't change my GPA, but I guess it shows consistency. I am mainly asking because I noticed Iowa's Carver College of Medicine asked for an update on their secondary application webpage where I manually inputted my Fall 2019 classes and grades.

If the grades in question aren't part of an upward trend narrative then don't bother unless explicitly asked.

Reactions: 1 users
If the grades in question aren't part of an upward trend narrative then don't bother unless explicitly asked.
Thank you for your insight! I'll probably just call some of the admissions offices Monday to get their perspective.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your insight! I'll probably just call some of the admissions offices Monday to get their perspective.
Sounds good -- come here looking for advice, not hear what you want, and then don't follow it!

Although you're not asking, I'll give you some free, unsolicited advice worth every penny you are paying for it -- don't bother calling the admissions offices, and just send an update with your grades. No staffer in an admissions office is going to tell you not to submit anything you think is important, and nobody answering the phone is going to opine on what is important.

@Med Ed gave you an informed opinion, and the rest of us gave you a somewhat less informed opinion. You clearly don't agree, and it's your application, so, as I said before, do what you think you have to do. You don't need anyone's permission, including the admissions office's. It's not going to generate an II you weren't getting anyway, but it's also not going to cause a R that also wasn't happening anyway, so knock yourself out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users