MD Application Update Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justinbieberfan

Reaction score
Hello all!

I was wondering what the proper format is for sending an application update. I want to update ADCOMs on my GPA after this semester, along with submitting a publication as first author and additional volunteering. I plan to express my interest in a few programs that I have not heard from yet since applying in July. How should I format this to be concise yet impactful?

Thank you!

@Goro @Faha @LizzyM

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
By the silence, I suspect the answer is - search the forums. I haven't personally searched for this, but if you find any, could you please post here for other's use?

Per the wisdom of our friendly adcoms, submitting a paper is not worth an update alone. Only getting it officially published is. @justinbieberfan Update your schools when it’s officially in press!

lol i can honestly feel Goro whispering to me “patience is a virtue” as I write this.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The proper format is professional, coherent and concise. How you choose to write that is up to you
1) GPA update. Unless you have some GPA weakness and this past term was significantly improved, it may not be worth mentioning
2) Paper. When your paper gets accepted for publication it is important. Just submitting a paper may not be worth mentioning
3) Additional volunteering. Unless you had low hours or unless the new volunteering was significant in some way, it may not be worth mentioning

Individually, none of these are worth mentioning. However, putting them together in a VERY SHORT update as in 6-8 sentences in ok

As my application being considered to the NAME medical school, I would like to update the admissions committee on recent activities. During this recent term I got XXX GPA over XXX credits. I was also fortunate to being first author of a paper on the XXX recently submitted to Journal XXX. Lastly, I added about XXX hours to existing/new volunteer experience which was/was not mentioned on my primary application. Again thank you for your consideration my application
Awesome advice. Thank you (though I am not the OP, still useful for me).

The proper format is professional, coherent and concise. How you choose to write that is up to you
1) GPA update. Unless you have some GPA weakness and this past term was significantly improved, it may not be worth mentioning
2) Paper. When your paper gets accepted for publication it is important. Just submitting a paper may not be worth mentioning
3) Additional volunteering. Unless you had low hours or unless the new volunteering was significant in some way, it may not be worth mentioning

Individually, none of these are worth mentioning. However, putting them together in a VERY SHORT update as in 6-8 sentences in ok

As my application being considered to the NAME medical school, I would like to update the admissions committee on recent activities. During this recent term I got XXX GPA over XXX credits. I was also fortunate to being first author of a paper on the XXX recently submitted to Journal XXX. Lastly, I added about XXX hours to existing/new volunteer experience which was/was not mentioned on my primary application. Again thank you for your consideration my application
Thank you so much!

If anyone wants to swap an update letter hmu. I also still don’t know whether to go with the format the above person used of basically listing things or if I should add school specific things (which is what I did in this one), but I’d swap with someone if they want.

Unless you have something that you have done that is directly connected to the school, it would not seem appropriate in an update letter. Simply pointing out that you did something similar to something at the medical school borders on pandering. Keep it an update and avoid fluff
Hmm okay...I was just going based on articles I found when I googled “how to write an update” which said to make it school-specific. It’s so hard to find good information on the “right” way to go about these things.

Reactions: 1 user
When sending an update about grades, like in the example @gonnif provides, is it necessary to also send a transcript?