MD California School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sleipnir

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What sort of overall (and BCPM) GPA and MCAT score would be needed to give an applicant a likely chance at a California MD school? It seems it's one of the most competitive states, and I'd really love to stay in-state. Do UCs accept more from CA like undergrad UCs, or is it not taken into consideration?

Thanks very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Take a look at the sticky at the top of this fourm "School Selection spreadsheet". It links to a grid that had the mean GPA and MCAT for acceptees of every US medical school. If you look to the far right on the grid, it gives the % out of state and international that are accepted. In summary, though, California state schools have a bias for in-staters.

The great (or bad) thing about the UC's is that they're less dependent on numbers than many other med schools tend to be...I've seen too many people with 35+ MCATs and >3.7 GPA barely even get an interview at any UC's to think otherwise. Though, I'd say, UCSD does seem to be a bit more numbers-based than the other UC's, so if you have >3.7 GPA and 35+ MCAT, then you're likely to get an interview there.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I have seen, a 34+ and >3.7 will pretty much guarantee you interviews at a few UC schools. Also do you listen to Manowar?

Thanks for the replies, and no never have lol

They definitely have an IS preference, but you dont get extra points for having gone to a UC for undergrad. Certainly there will be a lot of UC undergrad applicants that get interviews/acceptances, but thats only b/c so many people go there for undergrad from CA, you know? Its not like they get special points.

I see... so what do you recommend I do right now in freshman year to increase chances?

Aside from getting straight As, strive for stand-out extracurricular experiences in leadership, research, community service, and/or clinical experience. As you're a freshman now, start planning how you will excel in some of these areas. Read SDN widely to get some ideas of what this might entail. A good place to look is the MDapps profile that some members post under their name (see member above for an example).

Been checking out MD apps, and to be honest, it makes me worry more. Everyone has like years of research, and I'm looking at just some volunteering/shadowing and possibly some work (not related to medicine) here and there. Any thoughts?

Also, aiming for straight A's, which would be me at ~3.4 (overall) after 2 trimesters. (I started off poorly) -- do they look at trends or something?

Also, what about MCAT, when should I buy the books and start studying?

Thanks for the input.

An upward trend will help you. Consider spending an extra year incollege, if needed, to get your GPA closer to a competitive number. Don't study for the MCAT until you finish all the prerequisite courses.

Work out some extracurriculars that are unique for you, after getting some inspiration from what others have done. Most people don't fill in all 15 blanks in the experience section when they apply. Besides community service, clinical experience, and research, you'll need a leadership experience as well.

So far I plan: Doctor shadowing, volunteering (same hospital ok?), good grades (AIming for 3.8+) Sound decent? Any recommendations for leadership? I'm generally a shy person. What about work experience, could that qualify?

Thanks for the input

It depends on what you do at work. Are you training new employees, leading meetings, solving problems, organizing things, taking responsibility? You'll be writing a description of the activity that supports your contention that is "leadership."

Volunteering and shadowing at the same hospital is fine. Try to get yourself invited to a doctor's office too.

Not sure yet, as I'm not working yet. If I don't, any other ideas for leadership? Is it absolutely required? (Space for it on AMCAS?) Can you please rank in order of importantce: shadow,volunteer/clinic,leadership,research

They are all important. [Clinical=community service]>leadership>shadowing>research. Opinions will vary.

If you don't like the leadership ideas you've seen on MDApps, I have no further suggestions.

does this apply to med schools in general, or just california MD schools?