MD cGPA 3.62 sGPA 3.55 MCAT 33 (14/10/9)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caericson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Georgia resident.
Got a 28 on my first MCAT in May (9/8/11)
Got a 33 on the one i just took in August (14/10/9)
have a 3.62 GPA and a 3.55 science GPA
Double Major in Biology and Spanish at University of Alabama

I have EC's including:
100+ hours shadowing 3 different physicians (2 surgeons, one chiropractor)
200+ hours volunteering at my local hospital in the PACU.
Volunteered in a Nicaraguan Clinic for two weeks in Grenada, Nicaragua
Studied Abroad in Spain for 1.5 Months
Local Community Service with Habitat for Humanity, etc blah blah blah
Member of AED (pre-medical society)
Managed and operated a lawn service from middle school till sophomore year of college
Almost Fluent in Spanish
Musician (guitar, piano, drums)

What are my chances? I'm really hoping to get into Medical College of Georgia, Mercer University, UAB. Emory Florida and Virginia are my stretch schools. I'm kind of worried about my MCAT being so lopsided since my GPA is weak. What do y'all think? Anything I left out?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you! I have applied to Florida State and USF as well. What do you think of those?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine for Mercer. You're in striking distance fro Emory, so worth trying for; ditto MCG

UAB. Doubtful. Your GPAs are well < avg. While 19% is from UAB UG proper, only ~14% of the class is OOS.

U Florida Forget about it. you're well below avg for them, and only ~10% of the class is OOS

U Virginia : highly doubtful. Their numbers are close to Harvard's! While ~50 of the class is OOS, one has to be >avg when you're an OOS applicant.

Why didn't you apply more broadly? You would have had a much better chance with the other VA schools, plus plenty of the low-tiers.

Thanks for the input. And I did apply to a broad range. 26 to be exact. The ones I listed are just the ones that I have been most highly interested in.