MD Chance? low GPA, high MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluelake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 37 with distr. of 12, 13, 12 (taken Jan 2013; my only MCAT attempt)
GPA: 3.02 (starts freshman with 2.3, steadily rising with finishing the 3rd year with 3.7, with total GPA average 3.02)

ECs - Two years of research, Medical and non-medical volunteering spanning past 4 years, held a student leadership position for a year, shadowed doctors over a summer with a rec letter from the head of the neurosurgery department, worked part-time during school year as a tutor, arranged and performed music for in-school Chamber group for all years of college

First time applicant. Applied to University of Minnesota, In-State.

Do I have a shot?

Members don't see this ad.

I highly doubt it; you're in auto-reject range. The avg GPA for MD matriculants is around 3.6+ There may be some programs that reward super rising trends, so it might be worth calling the Dean of Admissions and asking if you're still viable as a candidate.

You're fine for DO programs.
MCAT: 37 with distr. of 12, 13, 12 (taken Jan 2013; my only MCAT attempt)
GPA: 3.02 (starts freshman with 2.3, steadily rising with finishing the 3rd year with 3.7, with total GPA average 3.02)

ECs - Two years of research, Medical and non-medical volunteering spanning past 4 years, held a student leadership position for a year, shadowed doctors over a summer with a rec letter from the head of the neurosurgery department, worked part-time during school year as a tutor, arranged and performed music for in-school Chamber group for all years of college

First time applicant. Applied to University of Minnesota, In-State.

Do I have a shot?

Ah, darn. I did receive a request for supplemental application today, but I need to be realistic about my chances.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat. I graduate in Spring 14, I plan on taking graduate classes in Global Public Health next year, and hopefully get in Fall 2015. My GPA upon graduation this Spring for undergrad should be 3.2, hoping for a decent MCAT. What are my chances for somewhere like A.T. Still or Lake Erie College of Medicine? Or VTech?

Another question.

If I enrolled in a post-bac program and boosted my GPA, will I have a shot at some of the top medical schools?

I don't know about the top schools, but there are MD schools that do reward reinvention. Tulane, BU, SUNY-Upstate, Drexel, NYMC, Tufts, Albany are the ones that I know of, based upon posts in this forum.

Another question.

If I enrolled in a post-bac program and boosted my GPA, will I have a shot at some of the top medical schools?

Ah, darn. I did receive a request for supplemental application today, but I need to be realistic about my chances.

Thank you for your quick reply.

If you've already applied, you may as well go through with it. Your MCAT is very good and the process can be unpredictable.

Make sure to nail your classes this year and you'll be in a stronger position next year. Another year of classes will confirm the upward trend, bring your GPA up, and help you a lot. Nothing wrong with a gap year.

I got into the UofM last year. One of my classmates had very similar statistics as you (but with a ~40+ MCAT). I would strongly suggest you go for it. The U cares more about MCAT and Extracurriculars (you absolutely must have patient care experience of at least a year) than about GPA. That being said, it wouldn't hurt to apply to lower rank schools that care only about MCAT.

Thanks for all the responses.

I have submitted my secondary application. I'll hope for the best.

Thanks for all the responses.

I have submitted my secondary application. I'll hope for the best.

If you apply broadly you might have a shot. I have a 34 and 2.98/3.23. I applied to 45 osteopathic and allopathic schools. I haven't heard back from most, a few rejections, and ii to AZCOM and Tulane. You never know. If you can make everything else in your app stellar, then go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aren't there some med schools that don't count or discount grades from freshman year?

Are you a senior now? If so, what will your GPA be when you graduate?

What is your BCMP GPA? What was your major?

Aren't there some med schools that don't count or discount grades from freshman year?

Are you a senior now? If so, what will your GPA be when you graduate?

What is your BCMP GPA? What was your major?

Maybe.

I'm starting my 4th year in college. I won't know my GPA until next June when I graduate.

BCMP GPA is slightly higher (3.07), and I majored in Bioengineering.

Maybe.

I'm starting my 4th year in college. I won't know my GPA until next June when I graduate.

BCMP GPA is slightly higher (3.07), and I majored in Bioengineering.

Well, you can guestimate what your GPA will be for this year, can't you? And then recalculate. Right?

Sure.

I think I can get all A's without a problem this year.

This would mean that my GPA at the end of senior year will be about 3.25.

I think you can find success given that you have had an enormous upward trend from a 2.3 GPA. However, you'll need to apply very broadly to ensure that at least one school takes you in.

Yes, I realized I needed to apply broadly, and I did apply to 30+ schools. :xf:

Another question: my parents brought up retaking the MCAT around March next year in case I don't get accepted anywhere this year.

I heard that an extraordinary MCAT score (40+?) will make up for low GPAs.

I'll have to study over the winter break, but I think I can reliably improve my MCAT by point or two if I retake it.

Is retaking the MCAT something I should think about?

Another question: my parents brought up retaking the MCAT around March next year in case I don't get accepted anywhere this year.

I'll have to study over the winter break, but I think I can reliably improve my MCAT by point or two if I retake it.

Retaking a 37 can only hurt you.

Terrible idea. At 37, the issue is no longer your ability to do well on standardized tests. You would be much better off with an SMP.

Absolutely not. Do not do this.

Starting at around 12 in each subsection getting a higher score becomes more and more due to chance. The difference between a 37 and a 39 is not at all the same as between a 29 and a 31.

You would gain nothing by retaking, and you could lose a lot.

The idea of retaking a 37 is ridiculous. Breaking 40 won't suddenly erase your undergrad record.

Well, then what should I do if I don't get accepted anywhere this year?

Well, then what should I do if I don't get accepted anywhere this year?
It's always a good idea to live your application year as if you may need to reapply. Make your upward grade trend even steeper. Continue to make your ECs even meatier so that it's more difficult for adcomms to pass you by. Use these efforts to improve your chances during this application cycle by sending in update letters after fall grades are in, wherever they are accepted.

Some of the other schools I have applied to:

Albany Medical College
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Drexel University College of Medicine
Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California
Quinnipiac University SOM
State University of New York Downstate Medical Cen
Stony Brook University School of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine
University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix
University of California San Diego
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
University of Louisville School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine

Chances?

I wish you luck, look forward to seeing how you do this cycle. could be in a similar boat come June. good luck!

nah. i think you can make it. you did not great a high grade, but i think you can make it. you just have to review more. maybe it is in your luck, not in your grades. you know what i mean?

yeah i agree to you.since you have the strength, you must at least built and cope up your weaknesses also.