MD chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daisy1777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished by bachelors degree in health science, my gpa is a 3.89. Some of my science classes were completed with my degree and other's were not as my degree was not a "traditional pre-med". Here are my science classes grades:
Gen chem: B
Gen chem lab: B
Gen chem II: C-
Gen chem II lab: B-
Physics I: B+
Physics I lab: B
Physics II: B
Physics II lab: A-
Anatomy & Physiology I: B
A&P I Lab: A
Anatomy & Physiology II: A
A&P II Lab: A
Microbiology: A
Microbiology lab: A
Pathophysiology: A
Genetics: A
Nutrition (not sure if this one counts in the science section or not): A
Organic Chem : B+
Biochem: C-

I'm scheduled to take the MCAT April 27, 2013. Do I need to get a really high score to get in? And do you think my science grades are good enough?
Here is where I want to apply to:

Duke University
University of Boston
Georgetown University
University of Michigan (my home state)
Mt. Sinai
And maybe a DO school (not sure which one (if) yet).

I look forward to your thoughts :)

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, that is a great GPA. Congratulations. As far as the MCAT, you should aim for the highest score you can get, so yes, shoot for the highest score possible. Yes, apply to the schools you would like to get into and see what happens. Usually, finances are the limiting factor. Don't forget to make sure the rest of your application shines.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you have a 3.89 with so many Bs and CS? What's your science GPA? :confused:

Majority (the chem's and phys) of my science based classes were not part of my degree. I'm a non-traditional student.

What is your BCPM (science) GPA? That matters much more than your overall GPA. I'm just estimating since I don't know how many credits each class is, but somewhere around 3.4-3.5? Average sGPA of accepted MD applicants is 3.6, so while you're below that, you're not out of reach of an MD admission. Most secondaries will ask you to explain any grades lower than a C, so start thinking of a good explanation for those grades. Purchase the MSAR and compare your stats with school averages and ranges. Most of the schools you selected are top schools that are very competitive.

Majority (the chem's and phys) of my science based classes were not part of my degree. I'm a non-traditional student.

The GPA from your major doesn't really matter. What matters is the composite GPA of all the BCPM courses you've ever taken, whether in your major or not.

What is your BCPM (science) GPA? That matters much more than your overall GPA. I'm just estimating since I don't know how many credits each class is, but somewhere around 3.4-3.5? Average sGPA of accepted MD applicants is 3.6, so while you're below that, you're not out of reach of an MD admission. Most secondaries will ask you to explain any grades lower than a C, so start thinking of a good explanation for those grades. Purchase the MSAR and compare your stats with school averages and ranges. Most of the schools you selected are top schools that are very competitive.

The GPA from your major doesn't really matter. What matters is the composite GPA of all the BCPM courses you've ever taken, whether in your major or not.

Near as I can figure, my sGPA is a 3.51

Are you planning to only apply to 5 (or 6) programs? The ones you listed are pretty high up there in terms of "ranking". Add on about 15 programs and you will increase your odds greatly. Make sure you add some safety schools.

Are you planning to only apply to 5 (or 6) programs? The ones you listed are pretty high up there in terms of "ranking". Add on about 15 programs and you will increase your odds greatly. Make sure you add some safety schools.

The quote from the psychology professor in your signature is pretty funny. :thumbup:

The number of schools you are applying to is nowhere near enough, particularly since they are generally very competitive schools to get into. Considering you haven't taken the MCAT yet, and that you have a shaky science GPA, you need to think about applying to at least a dozen schools. Many people apply upwards of 20.

If your GPA is ~3.5, then you should be applying to more schools, ideally, low to mid-tier., as well as Wayne Satte and MI State, since you're a Wolverine. To be truely competetive, shoot for an MCAT score of 10/10/10 = 30 at a minimum.
You'll be fine for any DO school.

Just finished by bachelors degree in health science, my gpa is a 3.89. Some of my science classes were completed with my degree and other's were not as my degree was not a "traditional pre-med". Here are my science classes grades:
Gen chem: B
Gen chem lab: B
Gen chem II: C-
Gen chem II lab: B-
Physics I: B+
Physics I lab: B
Physics II: B
Physics II lab: A-
Anatomy & Physiology I: B
A&P I Lab: A
Anatomy & Physiology II: A
A&P II Lab: A
Microbiology: A
Microbiology lab: A
Pathophysiology: A
Genetics: A
Nutrition (not sure if this one counts in the science section or not): A
Organic Chem : B+
Biochem: C-

I'm scheduled to take the MCAT April 27, 2013. Do I need to get a really high score to get in? And do you think my science grades are good enough?
Here is where I want to apply to:

Duke University
University of Boston
Georgetown University
University of Michigan (my home state)
Mt. Sinai
And maybe a DO school (not sure which one (if) yet).

I look forward to your thoughts :)