MD MD Chances - 516 MCAT, 3.81 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA, iffy ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rickjamesinmyveins

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm currently applying to MD schools and would just like some feedback and advice on my candidacy. My ECs are the main thing I'm worried about, particularly my volunteer and shadowing hours. I'm listing my stats/ECs below along with the list of schools I've applied to, along with some specific questions I have that I'd like to get advice on in addition to general thoughts about my app. Here goes:
  • 22 year old male
  • ORM
  • New York resident
  • 3.81 cGPA, 3.90 sGPA, 3.58 aoGPA
  • 516 MCAT (May 2016) - 131 C/P, 130 CARS, 127 B/B, 128 P/S
  • Clinical Experience:
    • ~1000 hours working in a hospital
    • ~100 hours hospital volunteering, during high school
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering:
    • ~100 hours at an after school program
    • ~100 hours at a soup kitchen, during high school
  • Research Experience:
    • ~500 hours in a lab on campus
    • ~1000 hours during biotech internship
  • Shadowing Experience: I have 8 hours of shadowing an oncologist
School List:
  • Albany Medical College
  • Cornell
  • New York Medical College
  • Rochester
  • SUNY Buffalo
  • SUNY Downstate
  • SUNY Upstate
  • Stony Brook
  • BU
  • Emory
  • Dartmouth
  • GW
  • Georgetown
  • Hofstra
  • USC
  • Mayo (both campuses)
  • Oakland
  • Oregon Health and Science
  • Ohio State
  • Miami
  • Vermont
  • Tufts
  • UC San Diego
  • Washington (Seattle)
  • VCU
  • Wake Forest
AMCAS submitted 7/13, verified 8/10. I have received secondaries from all but Washington, and Mayo is not doing a secondary, working on getting them all completed ASAP.

Anyways, I'm thankful and appreciative of any advice or comments!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Get some more shadowing in, especially if you can do with with a Primary Care person. Ordinarily, I like to say what happened in high school stays in high school, but you need every hour you can get on this.

I suggest the following. Einstein could also be on the list, the Philly Triplets, SLU, Rosy Franklin, and MCW.
H
School List:
  • Albany Medical College
  • New York Medical College
  • Rochester
  • SUNY Buffalo
  • SUNY Downstate
  • SUNY Upstate
  • Stony Brook
  • BU
  • Emory
  • Dartmouth
  • GW
  • Georgetown
  • Hofstra
  • USC
  • Mayo (both campuses)
  • Oakland
  • Ohio State
  • Miami
  • Vermont
  • Tufts
  • VCU
  • Wake Forest

See my answer above
Was it a mistake to leave off 8 hours of shadowing on my AMCAS from freshman year of high school?

No. Words are easy, doing is harder.
Would listing plans for volunteering in the gap year activities questions on secondaries make up at all for the lack of hours already on my app?

I consider EMT-B to be a glorified taxi driver, and so do other Adcom members.
Would it be worth taking an EMT-B course this fall and trying to get some EMT experience next year?

You'd get rejected for not being able to follow simple instructions.
My letters consist of two science professors, my Genzyme supervisor, and my psych hospital supervisor, a nurse manager. Some schools request at least 1 non-science faculty letter, how big a negative is it to not have that non-science letter?

It would have helped, somewhat.
How much of an advantage would it have been to submit my AMCAS earlier (earliest possible would have been around 6/20 for me)

No.
Also, I listed first my in state schools and then the rest, would it be easier to read if listed by tiers?

Your a good candidate for the schools in your state. For OOS focus more only on those you would seriously consider turning down that cheap IS tuition for. Are you actually going to turn down a SUNY for a school like GW? If not then delete it