MD/DO Any feedback is appreciated :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skatoodles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
bump I would really appreciate any help with shortening my list.

I can only comment on DO schools, but your stats look great for them. TUCOM does have a regional bias, but if you have the money I'd say it's worth a shot with your stats. I would consider adding PCOM, DMU, CCOM, and KCUMB

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are a little low for OSU, and isn't Vcommonwealth & PSU instate bias?

I think you'll do well next cycle. Just apply early. Good luck :)

I wish psu had a heavy IS bias, they really don't.

Hmm according to MSAR around half of Vcommonwealth's class last year was OOS. I'll think about adding those DO schools touchpause suggested. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Reactions: 1 user
You're golden. Goro suggests:

USC
UC Davis
UCSD
UCSF
UC Irvine (only if you fit their mission, URM or no)
UCLA
UCR (maybe)
Drexel
NYMC
Howard
Loyola
MCW
Jefferson
Morehouse
U of Arizona Tucson
OHSU
SLU
Quinnipac
U of Miami
Virginia Commonwealth
U CO
U NV (maybe)
BU
Mt Sinai
Einstein
Dartmouth
Meherry

TUCOM
Western
All other DO schools west of the Missouri River

I have some friends on faculty at TUCOM-CA, and like my school, they have a regional "bias" only because they get plenty of applicants from their feeder schools, which in their case, is the UC system.
I can only comment on DO schools, but your stats look great for them. TUCOM does have a regional bias, but if you have the money I'd say it's worth a shot with your stats. I would consider adding PCOM, DMU, CCOM, and KCUMB

Reactions: 1 user
VCU has a class of ~200 each year and always tries to make it close to 100 IS, 100 OOS students. So with 50% of the class being OOS, it's super OOS friendly. Actually all the Virginia MD schools are pretty OOS friendly. (VCOM, the DO school, has regional bias and prefers Appalachian residents).

And for all the OOS in last year's class, at least 20 of them were from California. That's what the med student tour guide said at the interview anyway.

I think you can probably add a few more competitive schools to your list, but it's your call. Your odds of getting into an MD program are robustly high.

For a URM you have solid stats and should be set for a US MD school. Don't waste your money applying to DO schools at all. You don't need to. Also do you have any geographic preference? Your school list seems a bit scattered. I would suggest you really think about where you want to live and focus your list a little more based on that criteria.

There are a few DO schools I would prefer over certain MD schools so I'm still interested in going down that path, even if it costs me more a bit more. I'd very much like to return to the West coast since I'm currently studying in NY. However, I have family all over the east coast so I'm open to remaining here as well. I'll try to do some more research on each school's location though so thank you for your advice.

@solitarius Do you have any suggestions besides the CA ones? Based on my MCAT score, would Mayo or NW be feasible (I think I'm close to 10th percentile for both so definite reaches)?

@solitarius Do you have any suggestions besides the CA ones? Based on my MCAT score, would Mayo or NW be feasible (I think I'm close to 10th percentile for both so definite reaches)?

I think you would be competitive for mid-tiers. It just seems like the bulk of your list outside of the UCs are less competitive schools. As for Top 20, yeah, I think you should apply to some and see how it goes. If you're looking West, I'd say UA-Phoenix, Colorado, and OHSU.

Last edited:
There are a few DO schools I would prefer over certain MD schools so I'm still interested in going down that path, even if it costs me more a bit more.
You shouldn't apply to those MD schools then. None of the schools on your list should be in that category. Only apply to places you'd want to go because the DO acceptance is essentially guaranteed.

You shouldn't apply to those MD schools then. None of the schools on your list should be in that category. Only apply to places you'd want to go because the DO acceptance is essentially guaranteed.

Ok I will take that into consideration. Thanks for the advice.