• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Turquoise0701

Apr 25, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello everyone,

I have thoroughly screened and read most of the forums here pertinent to my question, but I have been unable to get a definitive answer for my question, so here I am seeking your advice. Please do help.

I am applying to MD/DO schools this summer 2012.
I have a cGPA of 3.35. (Mostly As and Bs, with only 3 Cs)
I volunteer at a Hospital and have bagged 160 hours.
Volunteered at Center for Dialysis Care and organized games for the patients receiving treatment.
Volunteered and tutored 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade students and helped boost their morale and grades.
Currently work as an ER Scribe - skilled in patient physician interaction and hands on experience of medicine, as opposed to shadowing a physician.
Summer research with an oncologist.
Currently doing research with a professor.

My issue here, is that I am doing terrible this semester, to the extent that I'm almost failing. This was supposed to be the most crucial semester by far, but despite putting all my heart and mind into it, I am not pleased with my results. I attempted the MCAT for the first time this semester and received the score yesterday which no one wants to know I bet. I'm retaking it in July.

I am scared to death if I'll ever make it to med school. I love medicine. I love my job as an ER Scribe, but I fear that my grades will prevent me from getting into MD/DO school. I have pressurized myself so much and am still not pleased with my results, I am disappointed in myself and I feel like a failure. I'm almost on the verge of dying if I fail to get into med school. I have never failed a class, never failed in life so far, so I agree this is a different experience for my, but I have to get into MD/DO school, or else I have absolutely no idea where I'll end up. I'm perplexed, anxious and worried.
I lost my mom couple years ago and she was the only constant in my life, then I moved to a new country and all the transition has been painful. Anyways, coming back to the topic, I need some ray of hope, some direction, indicating how I can achieve my dream of being a physician, because it is my dream.

What can I do to improve my chances of getting into MD/DO school?
I'm terrified, stressed, nervous and petrified. Please help someone. PLEASE!!! PLEASEEE!!!

octupus

inside a lobster suit!
Jul 11, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hello everyone,

I have thoroughly screened and read most of the forums here pertinent to my question, but I have been unable to get a definitive answer for my question, so here I am seeking your advice. Please do help.

I am applying to MD/DO schools this summer 2012.
I have a cGPA of 3.35. (Mostly As and Bs, with only 3 Cs)
I volunteer at a Hospital and have bagged 160 hours.
Volunteered at Center for Dialysis Care and organized games for the patients receiving treatment.
Volunteered and tutored 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade students and helped boost their morale and grades.
Currently work as an ER Scribe - skilled in patient physician interaction and hands on experience of medicine, as opposed to shadowing a physician.
Summer research with an oncologist.
Currently doing research with a professor.

My issue here, is that I am doing terrible this semester, to the extent that I'm almost failing. This was supposed to be the most crucial semester by far, but despite putting all my heart and mind into it, I am not pleased with my results. I attempted the MCAT for the first time this semester and received the score yesterday which no one wants to know I bet. I'm retaking it in July.

I am scared to death if I'll ever make it to med school. I love medicine. I love my job as an ER Scribe, but I fear that my grades will prevent me from getting into MD/DO school. I have pressurized myself so much and am still not pleased with my results, I am disappointed in myself and I feel like a failure. I'm almost on the verge of dying if I fail to get into med school. I have never failed a class, never failed in life so far, so I agree this is a different experience for my, but I have to get into MD/DO school, or else I have absolutely no idea where I'll end up. I'm perplexed, anxious and worried.
I lost my mom couple years ago and she was the only constant in my life, then I moved to a new country and all the transition has been painful. Anyways, coming back to the topic, I need some ray of hope, some direction, indicating how I can achieve my dream of being a physician, because it is my dream.

What can I do to improve my chances of getting into MD/DO school?
I'm terrified, stressed, nervous and petrified. Please help someone. PLEASE!!! PLEASEEE!!!
keep-calm-and-carry-on-original.jpg

A few things:
1. a good number of applicants take 1-2 years off in between undergrad and applying for medical school to improve their application. If you don't get in straight from undergrad, it's not the end of the world.

2. DO schools will allow for grade replacement. Changing a few Cs into As can turn a 3.3 into a 3.7

3. The MCAT is not as daunting as everyone puts it. It takes work, commitment, and dedication, but it's 100% doable.

4. Most important thing now is not to lose hope. Assess what's important in life, what makes you happy (medical school isn't everything), and then get your life back on track. When you're happy, good work will follow.

http://www.ted.com/talks/shawn_achor_the_happy_secret_to_better_work.html

Turquoise0701

Apr 25, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thank you for reassurance, but...

What could I do for those 1-2 yrs if I decide to take the time off? Also, I have been told that taking years off is not a good idea since one will get distracted and lose interest in medicine. I know that is not me, but still what could be done in those years?

How can I retake those courses when I am already past those courses and have taken more upper level courses?

octupus

inside a lobster suit!
Jul 11, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thank you for reassurance, but...

What could I do for those 1-2 yrs if I decide to take the time off? Also, I have been told that taking years off is not a good idea since one will get distracted and lose interest in medicine. I know that is not me, but still what could be done in those years?

How can I retake those courses when I am already past those courses and have taken more upper level courses?

Not sure how grade replacements work since I haven't done it. Perhaps, someone in the DO forum can be of better help.

What can you do? Tons. A good number of students take academic research positions as research techs, get some research experience, and hopefully a publication. Some work as scribes, medical e-record companies, teach, pretty much anything. During this time, you can also get more patient contact, volunteer at hospitals (many academic labs are close to teaching hospitals), shadow doctors, better prep for the MCAT. Taking time off will also give you more time to focus on the MCAT and later work on the primary and secondary application to make sure they are flawless.

Trust me, if medicine is where you hearts at, you won't lose hope. If you have the time to spend on the MCAT, you see that you can score in range of med schools, then you will continue to be motivated to go through with the process.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.