MD/DO/CARIB?? What's a girl to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abkvf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay. I'm a junior from MO. Planning on applying for a 2012 class. I'm trying to figure out the best route to go about what I want to do with my life. So, I'm going to explain that first, then give you my stats, then hope for some wonderful inspiration/guidance. Thanks.

I came to college not totally knowing what I wanted to do. I knew I wanted a service-oriented career where I could make a difference in people's lives. I wanted to be challenged, not work in a cubicle, and ultimately love what I would be doing. I was a health science major because I knew I loved health, but didn't narrow it down from there. I took an intro to health prof class and changed my mind almost every week from PT to OT to speech to nuclear med and everything in between. I started working for the hospital, though. I was just bringing patients their food when I watched a lady code in the SICU. The docs and nurses saved her life and it was like this light came on and I knew I wanted to do that.

I immediately started looking in to all the premed stuff, changed to a biology major, etc. To make a long story short. I've shadowed various specialties, but know that I want to do family medicine. I love the variety of patients, the connections you make with them, and how big of a difference you can make on their lives.

I also want to get my MPH. I think they are complimentary degrees in which having an MPH will make me a better physician and being a physician will help me do better in public health. I started a health literacy organization on my campus and am working with a non-profit (Health Literacy MO) to improve the health literacy here and create programs for students at the University of Missouri to help the community here. I'd really like to continue doing work like that as a physician. I'd like to set up education/prevention/wellness programs, but also see patients and be a physician.

I've thought about MD, DO, and Carib because of my stats for one. Also, I don't know a TON about DO's but shadowed with one for the first time two days ago. She had the best bedside manner and was the most thorough doctor I've seen. She could tell the patient wasn't herself and put everything aside to ask what was going on. From there the patient started crying and shared a whole lot with us and that easily could've been missed had she not taken the time to ask. I loved it. The Carib idea is new as well. The family med doc I shadow weekly actually went to Ross, but is an amazing physician. He is encouraging me to stay in the US, but said we'd talk about it if it came to going there.

So, that being said... here is where I am right now. I take the MCAT in May but think that a 30 is possible. Let me know what you think, please. Thanks

GPA's
cGPA- 3.464
sGPA- ~3.0

Work
Experience YES Program Intern, Saint Louis Science Center, St. Louis, MO
May 2010- August 2010, 40 hours per week
- Was in charge of 27 inner city high school students
- Taught biology, chemistry, and physics, college prep, and professional development skills
- Oversaw the teens while they worked in the Science Center building with visitors

Care Partner, Catherine's Residence, St. Louis, MO
April 2006-August 2009, 20+ hours per week
- Assisted residents and nurses during meals
- Responsible for cleaning dining area
- Volunteered to doextra activities with residents

Food Service Worker II, University Hospital, Columbia, MO
November 2008- May 2009, 20 hours per week
- Served trays to patients in a courteous and prompt manner
- Responsible for getting patients whatever they need on the floors

Horse Leader/Stable Manager, Ride on Saint Louis, Kimmswick, MO
Summers 2008, 2009, and 2010, 5 hours per week
- Managed the upkeep and safety ten horses at the therapeutic riding center
- Assisted the therapists during lessons with children with disabilities

Volunteer, University Hospital, Columbia, MO
Saturdays, September 2009-May 2010, 72 hours total
- Clean rooms in the Emergency Department
- Restock carts and assist ER and nurse techs
- Helped transfer patients to floors, CTs, and ICUs
- Assisted nurses, doctors, and physician assistants as necessary

Volunteer, St. Louis University Hospital, St. Louis, MO
Summers 2009 and 2010, 77 hours total
- Cleaned up rooms in the Emergency Department
- Helped patients after discharge

Volunteer, MedZou Clinic, Columbia, MO
Thursdays, September – December 2009, 20 hours total
- Set up reception for clinic
- Complete necessary sanitation precautious
- Prepare patient rooms

Shadowing
Experience
Dr. Jack Wells, Callaway Community Hospital, Fulton, MO
Weekly, September 2009-May 2011, 109.5 hours
- Observed family medicine in a rural population
- Watched a large variety of visits with a diverse patient group from young children to older adults.
- Practiced taking patient interviews, took vitals, and cut sutures

Dr. Abbe Sudvarg, Family Health Care Center, St. Louis, MO
May 28th, 6 hours (1pm-6pm)
- Observed family medicine in a city setting
- Watched a variety of patients, most without health insurance

Dr. John Kirby, Barnes Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO
July 30th-July 31st2009, 11 hours (7pm-6am)
- Observed overnight on-call trauma surgery
- Watched appendectomy, hand surgery after man injected paint into his hand, cardiac arrest, exploratory surgery for an ulcer, and gunshot wound.

Dr. Lawrence Kriegshauser, St. Anthony's Hospital, St. Louis, MO
July 28th, 6 hours (7am-1pm)
- Observed orthopedic surgery
- Watched a tumor biopsy, two hip replacements, and a knee replacement

Dr. Charles Dougherty, Esse Health, St. Louis, MO
March 23rd, 8 hours (9am-5pm)
- Observed pediatrics

Community
Service Invisible Children, August 2008-present, 20+ hours per week
- Founder and Co-President
- An organization working to use social media to advocate for and end Africa's longest running war and the use of child soldier's in Northern Uganda, rebuild the schools there, and rehabilitate the country.
- Organize events, fundraise, and bring speakers to talk about this organization and the rebel arm, LRA, which occupies Northern Uganda, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Central African Republic, and the Sudan.
Say Ah! @Mizzou, January 2010-present, 2 hours per week
- Founder and President of health literacy program started by Mizzou students
- Work with Mizzou Public Health organization and MedZou in order to create workshops, pamphlets, and fliers to teach patients how to be health literate and to better the communication between health providers and patients.
Dance Marathon Steering Committee, September 2009-present, 40 hours total
- Main Event/Morale chair
- Raise money for the University Children's Hospital through Children's Miracle Network with an event culminating in the spring semester that involves 12 hours of dancing.

Other Activities School of Health Professions Dean's Team, August 2008-2010
- Involved in volunteer service, legislative advocacy, peer-to-peer educational programs and, also, leadership conferences and meetings.
PreMed Society, August 2009-present, 2 hours per week
Operation Smile, August 2008-2009, 2 hours per week
- Co-founder and Vice President during that time

Research
Experience Playgrounds without Borders Project, Family and Community Medicine with Dr. Joe LeMaster, 20 hours/week Fall 2010-present

Members don't see this ad.

Okay. I'm a junior from MO. Planning on applying for a 2012 class. I'm trying to figure out the best route to go about what I want to do with my life. So, I'm going to explain that first, then give you my stats, then hope for some wonderful inspiration/guidance. Thanks.

I came to college not totally knowing what I wanted to do. I knew I wanted a service-oriented career where I could make a difference in people's lives. I wanted to be challenged, not work in a cubicle, and ultimately love what I would be doing. I was a health science major because I knew I loved health, but didn't narrow it down from there. I took an intro to health prof class and changed my mind almost every week from PT to OT to speech to nuclear med and everything in between. I started working for the hospital, though. I was just bringing patients their food when I watched a lady code in the SICU. The docs and nurses saved her life and it was like this light came on and I knew I wanted to do that.

I immediately started looking in to all the premed stuff, changed to a biology major, etc. To make a long story short. I've shadowed various specialties, but know that I want to do family medicine. I love the variety of patients, the connections you make with them, and how big of a difference you can make on their lives.

I also want to get my MPH. I think they are complimentary degrees in which having an MPH will make me a better physician and being a physician will help me do better in public health. I started a health literacy organization on my campus and am working with a non-profit (Health Literacy MO) to improve the health literacy here and create programs for students at the University of Missouri to help the community here. I'd really like to continue doing work like that as a physician. I'd like to set up education/prevention/wellness programs, but also see patients and be a physician.

I've thought about MD, DO, and Carib because of my stats for one. Also, I don't know a TON about DO's but shadowed with one for the first time two days ago. She had the best bedside manner and was the most thorough doctor I've seen. She could tell the patient wasn't herself and put everything aside to ask what was going on. From there the patient started crying and shared a whole lot with us and that easily could've been missed had she not taken the time to ask. I loved it. The Carib idea is new as well. The family med doc I shadow weekly actually went to Ross, but is an amazing physician. He is encouraging me to stay in the US, but said we'd talk about it if it came to going there.

So, that being said... here is where I am right now. I take the MCAT in May but think that a 30 is possible. Let me know what you think, please. Thanks

GPA's
cGPA- 3.464
sGPA- ~3.0

Work
Experience YES Program Intern, Saint Louis Science Center, St. Louis, MO
May 2010- August 2010, 40 hours per week
- Was in charge of 27 inner city high school students
- Taught biology, chemistry, and physics, college prep, and professional development skills
- Oversaw the teens while they worked in the Science Center building with visitors

Care Partner, Catherine's Residence, St. Louis, MO
April 2006-August 2009, 20+ hours per week
- Assisted residents and nurses during meals
- Responsible for cleaning dining area
- Volunteered to doextra activities with residents

Food Service Worker II, University Hospital, Columbia, MO
November 2008- May 2009, 20 hours per week
- Served trays to patients in a courteous and prompt manner
- Responsible for getting patients whatever they need on the floors

Horse Leader/Stable Manager, Ride on Saint Louis, Kimmswick, MO
Summers 2008, 2009, and 2010, 5 hours per week
- Managed the upkeep and safety ten horses at the therapeutic riding center
- Assisted the therapists during lessons with children with disabilities

Volunteer, University Hospital, Columbia, MO
Saturdays, September 2009-May 2010, 72 hours total
- Clean rooms in the Emergency Department
- Restock carts and assist ER and nurse techs

Volunteer, St. Louis University Hospital, St. Louis, MO
Summers 2009 and 2010, 77 hours total
- Cleaned up rooms in the Emergency Department
- Helped patients after discharge

Volunteer, MedZou Clinic, Columbia, MO
Thursdays, September – December 2009, 20 hours total
- Set up reception for clinic
- Complete necessary sanitation precautious
- Prepare patient rooms

Shadowing
Experience
Dr. Jack Wells, Callaway Community Hospital, Fulton, MO
Weekly, September 2009-May 2011, 109.5 hours
- Observed family medicine in a rural population
- Watched a large variety of visits with a diverse patient group from young children to older adults.
- Practiced taking patient interviews, took vitals, and cut sutures

Dr. Abbe Sudvarg, Family Health Care Center, St. Louis, MO
May 28th, 6 hours (1pm-6pm)
- Observed family medicine in a city setting
- Watched a variety of patients, most without health insurance

Dr. John Kirby, Barnes Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO
July 30th-July 31st2009, 11 hours (7pm-6am)
- Observed overnight on-call trauma surgery
- Watched appendectomy, hand surgery after man injected paint into his hand, cardiac arrest, exploratory surgery for an ulcer, and gunshot wound.

Dr. Lawrence Kriegshauser, St. Anthony's Hospital, St. Louis, MO
July 28th, 6 hours (7am-1pm)
- Observed orthopedic surgery
- Watched a tumor biopsy, two hip replacements, and a knee replacement

Dr. Charles Dougherty, Esse Health, St. Louis, MO
March 23rd, 8 hours (9am-5pm)
- Observed pediatrics

Community
Service Invisible Children, August 2008-present, 20+ hours per week
- Founder and Co-President
- An organization working to use social media to advocate for and end Africa's longest running war and the use of child soldier's in Northern Uganda, rebuild the schools there, and rehabilitate the country.
- Organize events, fundraise, and bring speakers to talk about this organization and the rebel arm, LRA, which occupies Northern Uganda, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Central African Republic, and the Sudan.
Say Ah! @Mizzou, January 2010-present, 2 hours per week
- Founder and President of health literacy program started by Mizzou students
- Work with Mizzou Public Health organization and MedZou in order to create workshops, pamphlets, and fliers to teach patients how to be health literate and to better the communication between health providers and patients.
Dance Marathon Steering Committee, September 2009-present, 40 hours total
- Main Event/Morale chair
- Raise money for the University Children's Hospital through Children's Miracle Network with an event culminating in the spring semester that involves 12 hours of dancing.

Other Activities School of Health Professions Dean's Team, August 2008-2010
- Involved in volunteer service, legislative advocacy, peer-to-peer educational programs and, also, leadership conferences and meetings.
PreMed Society, August 2009-present, 2 hours per week
Operation Smile, August 2008-2009, 2 hours per week
- Co-founder and Vice President during that time

Research
Experience Playgrounds without Borders Project, Family and Community Medicine with Dr. Joe LeMaster, 20 hours/week Fall 2010-present
I did not read the whole post because it's too long. Anyway, I think you would be a good candidate for DO school, but I would recommend you to get your sGPA to 3.2+, and with a 26+ MCAT you should have at least an acceptance. Your ECs are good though.

Your activities are terrific. Before applying, consider putting another year into BCPM GPA improvement with upper-level Bio classes and getting a 32-33+ MCAT score for a better shot at MD schools. If you're in a hurry, you'd surely get a DO acceptance with the stats you project, by applying June 2011. How did the BCPM get so low?

An MPH will not help you get into med school, BTW, so consider getting it while in med school or before residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both. For one thing, I haven't completely calculated my sGPA accurately. It's probably closer to a 3.2. (lowest grade I've gotten is a B- in genetics) But, how'd my BCPM get so low? Um.. life happened. I'm a good student and know how to study, but have been very involved in college. Especially my first two years I found it very important to learn stuff other than what my lectures were teaching me- hence all the leadership, community service, etc. Apparently, I'm not the greatest at balancing my time between the two, but I'm working on it. Plus, not to mention a few not-so great teachers, but I try not to blame them for it and take responsibility for my own actions as well. I probably could've gotten a 4.0, but I would have had to sacrifice a lot of my extra-curriculars and at that times wasn't willing to do so.

Also, sorry it was such a long post.

And, I know that getting my MPH wouldn't help my chances getting in. I'd be looking for an MD/MPH program if possible. Are there DO/MPH programs out there? I haven't heard of any.

Last edited:
Take this with a grain of salt, because I'll admit that I mostly glanced at what you wrote.... but make sure you're not exaggerating your hours contributed to activities. These hours seem impossibly high.

That said, if you're sure that they're accurate... great job! I wish I had EC's like this.

go DO. kcumb is a good choice. theres another in your state, kirksville. i got into kcumb with a 3.2 cgpa and a 31 mcat. score above a 30 on the mcat and i dont think you will have a problem. you should try retaking a science class, DO schools do grade replacement.

I would also go DO (but I am biased here). DO schools tend to emphasize family practice. In addition to a strong focus on treatment of patients as a whole, integrated person, you also get to learn OMM-- hopefully you have seen some while job shadowing. They also tend to have an emphasis on rural heath care, if that appeals to you, although many DO schools have opportunities to do rotations at both urban and rural areas. Your experiences are fantastic. I agree that a boost in sGPA will help and consider taking the MCAT early enough to allow time to retake it in the chance that your score is not competitive enough for the schools you are looking at. Something else to consider-- schools can have massive variants in their programs/curriculums. (I fell in love with the concept of Promblem Based Learning and there were a few DO schools that offered full curriculums in PBL, so that swayed me).

Last edited:
Considering all 3 co-founders were dudes from southern California, probably not.

But who knows…