MD/DO/DPM schools that regard a science SMP/MA/MS highly

OLDwood

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status
Non-Student
In the process of selecting medical schools to apply to:
A small background: this person is non-traditional who have invested his/her vocation in the clinical aspect of the health care industry for years:

(1.) I would like to find out which US (DO/MD/DPM) schools will value a graduate degree (MA/MS) degree in the biomedical science/s. Essentially, looking for schools that will look at the graduate education and assess the applicant based heavily on life experience, graduate degree, interview, career in the medical field, and average stats. Does anybody have a list of these schools?

DISCLAIMER: This is for people who will address and answer the question. This is not an invitation to debate which is better DO or MD or why DPM - thank you. Please the question as it is. Yes, assume safely.

Jul 10, 2019
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
MD schools don't care about graduate GPA. DO schools will consider gGPA but it better be close to a 4.0 or else it will raise serious red flags.

Can't speak for DPM.

Reactions: Goro
About the Ads
OP
O

OLDwood

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status
Non-Student
MD schools will not value a graduate coursework GPA? why?
Why would it raise a serious red flags?

Jul 10, 2019
Status
Graduate school grades are not generally considered comparable to undergrad grades.
They do not remediate a weak undergraduate performance.
They are considered to be inflated (SMP's may be considered differently).
This is not intended as a slam on the rigor of any particular program...
To add to the above:
1) all applicants have UG GPA, usually with a similar set of core BCPM, and therefore have a standard for evaluation. Introductory/General courses in these areas are relatively similar across UG Schools. A minority of applicants have grad GPA across a wide variety of concentrations and schools making it much less clear how to evaluate
2) all AMCAS applications will include full graduate course listing and GPA and will be seen by all adcoms
3) how much weight each evaluator and/or school will give to the graduate GPA and degree is unknown and is not formal or standard at the vast majority of schools
4) Postbacc and SMP (which for purposes of admissions are postbacc) are formally part of the admissions process at most schools
Having been in a master's program, I can say from experience that the difficulty of graduate-level science can vary wildly.

Jul 10, 2019
Status
Why would it raise a serious red flags?
Being in a master's program suggests that you're mature enough to understand what needs to be done to achieve high grades. Also most adcoms will view master's level courses as less rigorous in general. Anything less than perfect will not inspire confidence when they review your coursework.

Seihai

The dog is always the real hero.
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
MD schools do care about a graduate GPA in that if you get anything less than a 3.6+, it will look really, really bad. If you do get a 3.6+, then it basically doesn't matter (essentially, it can only be a net negative).

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Gold Donor
Vendor
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field], Attending Physician
Every school will care about the whole picture. While it is true that some schools might care more or less about life experiences, that's all information hidden behind the doors of the adcom.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: paradoxic_toxic

sb247

Doer of things
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Galt's Gulch
forums.studentdoctor.net
A small background: this person is non-traditional who have invested his/her vocation in the clinical aspect of the health care industry for years:

(1.) I would like to find out which US (DO/MD/DPM) schools will value a graduate degree (MA/MS) degree in the biomedical science/s. Essentially, looking for schools that will look at the graduate education and assess the applicant based heavily on life experience, graduate degree, interview, career in the medical field, and average stats. Does anybody have a list of these schools?

DISCLAIMER: This is for people who will address and answer the question. This is not an invitation to debate which is better DO or MD or why DPM - thank you. Please the question as it is. Yes, assume safely.
What is your total undergrad gpa and have you taken the mcat yet?

DexterMorganSK

Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2016
NYC
Status
Podiatry Student

A lot depends on your undergrad sci/cumulative GPAs and the MCAT.

It will be easier to advise if we knew these stats, at least.

Reactions: Goro
OP
O

OLDwood

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status
Non-Student
ASDOH in particular takes public service and community involvement critically in an applicants profile. (You don't have 1000 hours community service, don't bother applying....yes of course with good grades/DAT/MCAT minimums). So, are there medicals schools that have a certain bias toward SMP graduates (regardless of the SMP-DO/MD/DPM linkage)?

Thanks for the responses so far, they're helpful.

bent1993

2+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2016
Status

If you uGPA is suffering, take more uGPA upper level courses. An SMP is essentially worthless.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
If you uGPA is suffering, take more uGPA upper level courses. An SMP is essentially worthless.
Multiple SDNers have gotten into med school (including Columbia, Vandy, Duke, and UCSF, to name a few) via the SMP route. It is a viable pathway for GPA and candidate reinvention.

Reactions: Shotapp

bent1993

2+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2016
Status
Multiple SDNers have gotten into med school (including Columbia, Vandy, Duke, and UCSF, to name a few) via the SMP route. It is a viable pathway for GPA and candidate reinvention.
My mistake, I was thinking OP was referring to a general master of science degree.

Robin-jay

2+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Having been in a master's program, I can say from experience that the difficulty of graduate-level science can vary wildly.
ADCOMs not motivated enough to look into any Master's program.

I've had a chemistry graduate class of organic chemistry 600 and had ADCOMs chirp in my ears that grad programs should be a 4.0, but in this class not a single person got higher than a B+....it's an assumption that they can't figure out how difficult some grad programs are, so instead they just say everyone should a 4.0 in grad programs no problem. Some are much harder than SMPs.

It doesn't take long to evaluate the difficultly of most graduate programs. It's obvious a physics grad degree is drastically harder than a biology one. I think ADCOMs should put more effort in this area. Sorry I didn't want to pay 60-80k for an SMP and instead did an equally or harder graduate degree in chemistry where I got paid.

About the Ads