MD DO what if i applied to both would it look bad ???? instead of applying to only DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LING

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be bad if I applied to MD schools while applying to DO schools? Would that make me look as if im not as passionate toward DO schools if I apply to MD schools. I know for MD schools whatever school you apply to, all the MD schools know about each other. However would the DO school know that I applied to MD school as well????

Soooo lost can you tell :? Please help :rolleyes:

ALSO!!!!!!! how many DO schools did you guys applied on average?????

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by LING
Would it be bad if I applied to MD schools while applying to DO schools? Would that make me look as if im not as passionate toward DO schools if I apply to MD schools.
No

good answer. we've all done it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ling, apply to as many and whichever schools you feel, as long as you anticipate that either degree will be suitable for you. I did not experience a problem while applying to multiple MD and DO schools.
Good luck next year!

Would it be bad if I applied to MD schools while applying to DO schools? Would that make me look as if im not as passionate toward DO schools if I apply to MD schools. I know for MD schools whatever school you apply to, all the MD schools know about each other. However would the DO school know that I applied to MD school as well????

LING,

Absolutely not. I agree with the other posters. You should apply where you want to go to school. Make sure that the path you choose is according to your own philosophy and taste (MD and DO that is).

I applied 4 times before I was admitted to medical school. Each time I applied to DO schools as well as MD schools. On my first attempt, I applied to 3 schools, two of which were MD schools. When I interviewed that year, the DO school asked me if I applied to MD schools and how many other DO schools had I applied to. They asked me why I didn?t apply to any other DO schools and then suggested that I apply to OUSOM as well. So, If you apply to both MD and DO schools, I would at least apply to two DO schools, in case the same thing would happen to you. Other posters may disagree with this tactic, but this, along with other factors, affected my application.

Regardless of which way you decide to go (MD, DO, or apply to both), I would at least apply to 6 to 8 schools that you are interested in. I say this because it is not wise to put all your eggs in one basket. The exception to this is if you are a very strong candidate, you may opt for an Early Decision Program (EDP) at the school you would like to attend, if it is available. With this program, you apply June 1 (I think) to only one school and they will inform you of a decision, usually by September of the same year. Then you will be permitted to apply to other schools if you are not accepted to the EDP school.

ALSO!!!!!!! how many DO schools did you guys applied on average?????

I applied to three DO schools this year, VCOM, WVSOM, and PCSOM.

Feel free to PM me with any additional questions LING. Good luck!

YOu can apply to both. I did due to having to increase my odds in places where my husband could find employment. I applied to big cities and small towns. Figures I would fall in love with the school in the small town where my husband's chances of finding employment are seriously effected, but I hated Philly where I was accepted to an MD school. I just hated it there .

Apply where you think you will be happy to spend 4 years of your life. Research the locations before you spend the money. Apply to as many places as you want, but remember it costs alot and merely adding a whole bunch of schools won't increase your odds a whole bunch. If you are a good applicant you will be accepted, if you are borderline it will be a toss-up.

Good luck

I was asked at all my DO interviews if I applied to any MD schools also. I was honest about it (there were lots). I followed up that statement with "I wanted to increase my chances of getting into a medical school by applying to a wide variety of universitiies, both MD and DO." Just make sure the DO schools know they aren't your "backup plan."

i applied to both also...

i see MDs and DOs as pretty much equal. the training (except OMM) and the opportunities are abundant with either degree.
it was actually a little bit difficult for me to write about my love of osteo in the essays b/c i dont really have a preference. i would be dam happy to have either letters behind my name. DO is definitely not a back up plan for me..

i only applied to 2 schools, and this is my first time.

I thought it is a definite strat to shotgun your apps all over. I sent primaries to 4 schools.

After recieveing requests for secondaries from all for schools, i decided on a very planned, acute approach. I carefully studied my two top choices and was in very close communication with many people from each institution. With all of this information about what is going on, what to expect, what they expect, odds, the interview, etc etc etc... i was very successful in reaching my goal at my number one choice. I sent in a secondary to only my number one choice, interviewed soon there after, and was consequently accepted.

Do what you think you want to do, do what feels right, but know precisely why you are doing it.

I applied to both MD and DO. Applications on which asked for such information I answered fully and honestly - I think it sucks that they would ask you or perhaps base a decision based on it, but I think it would suck worse to have to lie about it.

I applied to both--3 of each and that was *really* stretching my budget!

When I interviewed at OU-COM, I was asked a couple of times about other schools I had applied to. I was quite honest about it--sometimes answering without being specific even. "Oh, I tried to apply to a mix of schools in areas near my family." (or something similar) Mostly, they just seemed curious. The first man who interviewed me knew that I had applied to IU (our only medical school in Indiana). He actually said, "What has to happen for us to get you into school here if you get accepted?" I guess I didn't portray DO as a back-up plan!

I think most adcoms know that getting into school anywhere is difficult and it's in a student's best interest to maximize his/her chances. Obviously, I have to apply to my state school! It happens to be allopathic. There's loving osteopathic medicine and then there's the bottom line of how much it costs to go to med school! BTW, that's exactly what I addressed when I answered the above question--assuming I get accepted anywhere else, it will take a little bit of pixie dust for everything to fall into place!

Two interviewers asked me variations on the "why DO" question. I answered with a kind of bluntness that I usually reserve for my husband. I could give the standard line about how I love the philosophy, but the truth is--it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what the letters are after your name. You decide what kind of doctor you will be. I think osteopathic training will enhance my own talents, but if I end up being an allopath, I won't be heartbroken. That got a couple of surprised looks, then smiles, and then a compliment for being one of the few to actually be honest instead of saying what you think "they" want to hear.

Do what you gotta do. If "they" don't like it, screw 'em.

Willow

I applied to both DO and MD and tons of both. I never really heard any disparaging comments but I made sure all the schools knew I was considering them and that was why I was at the interview. I agree make sure the interviewers know you are interested in their program.. wheter it is DO or MD and only apply to schools you would actively consider going to and maybe some that you are fairly sure you could get into and wouldn't mind going to.