Md, do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PikminOC

MD Attending Physician
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do some physicians have an MD and DO after their name? What is the educational pathway to get both?

Thx

Members don't see this ad.

MD degree obtained outside US.

DO degree obtained once in US. Likely went to med school in US because it can be hard to practice medicine with a degree from a foreign country.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MD degree obtained outside US.

DO degree obtained once in US. Likely went to med school in US because it can be hard to practice medicine with a degree from a foreign country.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Most fmg only have to do residency here, not repeat all of medical school. And their degree may be mbbs.

Just a guess, maybe they got a foreign DO (just the osteopathy component outside US, then got their MD whether its foreign or US trained). Similar to how many PTs, Chiros, PharmDs, Nurses, etc may go on to get their MD/DO in the US

I only know of one case of this myself, I believe it is a doctor from Texas, who went to a Caribbean school and a US DO school. Interestingly from my recollection he went to the DO school first and then for some reason did his Caribbean MD.

I actually scribed for an MD DO doc. Dude went to Lecom. Did an AOA internal med residency then went to a Caribbean school and got his MD. No idea why. Seems totally stupid.

I will probably do the same thing.

I plan on taking both sets of exams anyway...

lolz

When I was a medical student, I remember meeting an IM program director that was an MD, DO. He was an FMG that came to the US, passed USMLEs but eventually went to a DO school because it enabled him to get into a residency program. I suspect it was more difficult to get into residency as an FMG at the time.

Most fmg only have to do residency here, not repeat all of medical school. And their degree may be mbbs.

50% of FMGs that apply don't get a residency, that's not including all the FMGs that don't get that far (e.g. don't take or finish the USMLEs). I'f you're far enough out from graduation, applying becomes pointless, because the chances of getting a residency is very slim. I've known multiple FMGs do research for years or even complete a PhD just to be competitive enough to match.

Most MD, DO people are foreign grads that went to DO school in the US.

NYITCOM has (or did have at one point) a program for foreign physicians.

The Emigre Program

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Current UNT HSC TCOM president Michael William is an MD DO.

It is not hard to get. Once you have a DO, there are Carribean med schools that will sell you the MD for a fee. They use your DO credits toward the MD degree and have you pay a hefty tuition and take couple modules online. Back in my days, University of Antiqua was offering that.

Reactions: 3 users

It is not hard to get. Once you have a DO, there are Carribean med schools that will sell you the MD for a fee. They use your DO credits toward the MD degree and have you pay a hefty tuition and take couple modules online. Back in my days, University of Antiqua was offering that.

But why pay the tuition? Is it an ego thing? Can they legally drop the DO and act like they are an MD. I don’t understand the point

But why pay the tuition? Is it an ego thing? Can they legally drop the DO and act like they are an MD. I don’t understand the point

I read a thread here that said he needed it to get into residency at UTSW back in his time. I can't confirm if it's true or false.

REALLY??

LOL

SO DOING THAT

A close friend did medical school and residency overseas. He came to the US and got a DO degree from NYCOM. He told me that if he took usmle step3 (he took step1 and 2), he'd be able to put both MD and DO behind his name.

A close friend did medical school and residency overseas. He came to the US and got a DO degree from NYCOM. He told me that if he took usmle step3 (he took step1 and 2), he'd be able to put both MD and DO behind his name.
Seems deceptive. I wonder what the legal ramifications are. Otherwise I know a classmate whose dad is an MD in a foreign country but became a PA here because he couldn't pass boards; would he be able to put MD, PA?

Seems deceptive. I wonder what the legal ramifications are. Otherwise I know a classmate whose dad is an MD in a foreign country but became a PA here because he couldn't pass boards; would he be able to put MD, PA?
Edit: I did a quick search and found that if you have a foreign medical degree (MD, MBBS, MBChB, etc.), you can use the MD title after your name here in America. Not sure about your friend's dad if he could put PA behind his name since he didn't go a PA school.

Last edited:
Edit: I did a quick search and found that if you have a foreign medical degree (MD, MBBS, MBChB, etc.), you can use the MD title after your name here in America. Not sure about your friend's dad if he could put PA behind his name since he didn't go a PA school.
He went to PA school in the US, but he has his MD from an Asian country

I know several researchers I worked with who are not licensed in the U.S. but display M.D. after their name. They sometimes work with patients in a research capacity, and make it clear to them that they are unable to give medical advice to them. It is not uncommon.

Last edited:
D.O.'s from other countries are not complete physicians. British D.O.'s and Canadian D.O.'s can come to the states and go to allopathic schools. Also, I understand American D.O.'s can apply now for Canadian residencies . This is progress.

Reactions: 1 user