This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biostats1092

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
u

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
#2, but include research ("research fellowship" or "post-doc" - dedicated lab time for 1-2+ years) during residency. This would be wherever you match, and you still have the option for further training afterwards.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, if you're describing your fantasy scenario (since you're actually a pre-med right now), maybe you shouldn't go to medical school and should just get a PhD. It honestly sounds like your heart is in research, not clinical work. Doing a PhD between receiving your MD and doing residency would be a financially disastrous idea; even if we set accumulating loan interest aside, we're talking about a >$1M opportunity cost (for a future neurosurgeon, more like $3-4M).

Reactions: 1 user
hahahhaha, why OP?!?

Something about this post seemed fishy to me. Like how is this med student weeks/days away from graduating without any of this figured out?

Hi guys, so I am about to graduate from medical school, and instead of pursuing residency at the moment, I am very interested in applying to PhD programs, in particular, neuroscience and immunology at Harvard/MIT. I have quite a few faculty members that I aspire to work with there.

In medical school, I did neurosurgical research, published 4 papers, won a few grants, and got a MS from Cambridge University in compneuro.

Would finishing up a PhD and then applying for residency programs in neurosurgery hurt me since I am not a direct applicant from medical school, but about 4-5 years away from my medical school training?

Or would you recommend for me to apply for neurosurgical programs, and immediately matriculate into a residency program, and do a postdoc at Harvard/MIT following my residency?