MD --> Hospital Administration Route Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sam_I_Am16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! First time poster looking for some advice.

I'm an M3, and have been thinking about taking a slightly different path after residency. Although I still want to remain a practicing physician, I've recently been very focused on getting involved in some sort of hospital administration role as well. One of my close mentors over the past few years happens to be an MD in an administration position, and after extensive discussions and shadowing with him about the reality of balancing the two responsibilities, I know it's something that I definitely want to pursue.

I was wondering if anyone else here was going after the same goals or was already in a position to offer me some insight, since my mentor's vantage point is the only one I've heard from so far. Ideally I would want to pursue an IM fellowship (cards and pccm interest me the most right now), but heard that hospital medicine/general IM would be the best in terms of a physician/administrator. My school also offers an MHA option that I would be able to complete after 4th year; would it be wise to pursue this now, or later on in the game? Ideally I'd like to get involved with administration as early as possible.

I've tried searching the forums, but haven't come across any useful threads--any info would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should pursue a MHA, MBA or MHSA if you really want to be in administration. The timing on it depends on you and when you have the time and money to complete the program. The most common times I've seen it (outside MD/MBA programs) is either in fellowship if you can link it to some sort of scholarly project, or early attending years.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get involved with administration early on in your career and work your way up, so to speak, you may be able to negotiate with them to give you a favorable work schedule and to pay (at least in part) for you to get another degree. Keep in mind that you've got several years before you start making an attending salary and paying back your current loans. Another degree will add more debt, which will also accumulate interest, when the degree may not be put to much use while in training or a junior attending. Down the road, you'll be able to both use the skills and pay it off much easier.

I know there are professional organizations for physician administrators and hospital administrators. You may want to ask your mentor if there is a way to get involved with one of them to provide some additional mentorship or educational opportunities and ask these questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for the responses! I really appreciate it.