1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

MD in AOA

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by study buddy, Dec 7, 2000.

1. study buddy

study buddy Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Just curious if anyone can explain how this MD is a part of the AOA. I don't have a problem with it, in fact I think it's neat, but I've never seen it before. I assumed you had to be a DO.

Look under the "Memberships" section at the bottom, fourth from the top
    http://www.med.uc.edu/departme/ortho/roycv.htm

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well if you look at the new member application on the AOA website (www.aoa-net.org), you'll notice that there are several dues levels for members. The highest is for a "practicing physician in civilian practice," followed by all these categories for DOs in different practice settings. There's also a category for "interns and residents," but doesn't specify degree. So I assume MDs can join as "practicing physicians in civilian practice" or as "interns and residents."

There's also an "associate member," which would be anyone who maintains a professional relationship with an AOA member. Weird.

I think for the AMA, one has to have either an MD or DO or currently a medical student in an AAMC or AOA medical school.

Tim of New York City.

4. MTY

MTY

Tim,
    so are you saying that regardless whether you are a MD or DO, you can be a member in either AMA or AOA?

5. M00se

M00se Member
    10+ Year Member

Actually you can not only be in the AOA or AMA, you can also be a fellow in any of the colleges, like FACEP or FACOEP.

------------------
    Jim

6. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    From my understanding of the AOA's membership eligibility form, yes.

Tim W. of N.Y.C.