MD in AOA

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by study buddy, Dec 7, 2000.

1. study buddy

study buddy Junior Member

Just curious if anyone can explain how this MD is a part of the AOA. I don't have a problem with it, in fact I think it's neat, but I've never seen it before. I assumed you had to be a DO.

Look under the "Memberships" section at the bottom, fourth from the top
    http://www.med.uc.edu/departme/ortho/roycv.htm

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    Well if you look at the new member application on the AOA website (www.aoa-net.org), you'll notice that there are several dues levels for members. The highest is for a "practicing physician in civilian practice," followed by all these categories for DOs in different practice settings. There's also a category for "interns and residents," but doesn't specify degree. So I assume MDs can join as "practicing physicians in civilian practice" or as "interns and residents."

There's also an "associate member," which would be anyone who maintains a professional relationship with an AOA member. Weird.

I think for the AMA, one has to have either an MD or DO or currently a medical student in an AAMC or AOA medical school.

Tim of New York City.

4. MTY

MTY

Tim,
    so are you saying that regardless whether you are a MD or DO, you can be a member in either AMA or AOA?

5. M00se

M00se Member

Actually you can not only be in the AOA or AMA, you can also be a fellow in any of the colleges, like FACEP or FACOEP.

------------------
    Jim

6. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    From my understanding of the AOA's membership eligibility form, yes.

Tim W. of N.Y.C.