MD in US for Indian

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by Long Hair and a Beard, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Long Hair and a Beard

Long Hair and a Beard Obsessionist
    7+ Year Member

Is there any way an Indian can get into medical school in US? Any first-hand experienced persons?

2. Maran

Maran Member
    7+ Year Member

U.S. medical schools do accept some international students. In general, the application procedures are the same, though you will probably need to take the TOEFL exam (Test of English as a Foreign Language.) Demonstration of fluency in English is critical for applicants from countries where English is not the native language.

You will also need the school to sponsor a Visa for you. And of course, you'll need good MCAT scores and an excellent transcript from your undergraduate University. Do some research on the Web regarding U.S. medical schools and their admissions requirements. The application procedure is a bit lengthly, and you will probably need to travel to the U.S. for interviews.

Good luck in pursuing your goals!

3. Long Hair and a Beard

7+ Year Member

Thanx Maran.

My research indicates that medical schools in US require undergraduate coursework, and for foreign students, another year of undergrad work in US.

I don't think this is a very lucrative option for Indian students contemplating medical school after secondary school (12 years of school education) as they can get admission in med colleges here directly after sec school.

Does anyone know of any specific exception to this situation? Can an Indian student enter med school in US after secondary school? Is the undergrad coursework required for med school equivalent to 2 years of English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics in India; coz that's what we require to enter med college here in India. (Maths actually isn't requisite.)

4. The Pill Counter

The Pill Counter Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    there's no way you'll get into a US med school without undergrad work, now matter what you did in india. Best option is to do your A-levels, preferably AAB or at least ABB, and apply to UK or Ireland for an undergraduate course. If you're set on US, go there for a 3 yr undergraduate degree, and apply from that point.

5. Maran

Maran Member
    7+ Year Member

There are a small number of U.S. universities that offer a 5 or 6 year combined pre-med (undergrad) and medical degrees. Students enter these programs directly from their secondary schooling.

Other than that, I'm fairly sure that all U.S. medical schools require a minimum of 2 years of undergraduate, college level study (post-secondary), and most require completion of a Bachelors level degree (usually 4 years.)

Hope that helps.

6. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Bear in mind that as well that most US medical schools which accept foreign nationals are private colleges. These schools, which can charge a King's ransom in tuition, often require that foreign nationals provide a trust fund with 4 years worth of tuition and living expenses deposited within - since you are ineligible for US government loans the schools wish to make sure you have the financial where-with-all to pay for the education.

7. Long Hair and a Beard

7+ Year Member

Thanx all! Actually I was collecting information for a friend of mine. I guess I'll tell him to stay put in India. :D