MD Interview invites after January---> acceptance success stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armaragon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any success stories with being an early applicant and getting invites later on in the cycle that resulted in acceptances? Thanks so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I got an invite for the final date for a school (they actually extended their season, so it really was the final few days), got waitlisted, and then accepted - ultimately matriculated there. So it's definitely possible.

Reactions: 6 users
2 MD interviews after 1/1 —> 2 acceptances

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a dec and Jan MD interview, outright accepted at both

Reactions: 3 users
Some good motivation here, thank you guys :)

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed 2/1, accepted 2/7. I didn’t even receive my first secondary app until almost Christmas.

Reactions: 1 users
Curious if COVID has delayed this process by more than usual? I applied to 36 ish schools, and have radio silence from 20 schools (my app is complete at all of them). All my secondaries were submitted between mid-August to early September.

Curious if COVID has delayed this process by more than usual? I applied to 36 ish schools, and have radio silence from 20 schools (my app is complete at all of them). All my secondaries were submitted between mid-August to early September.
Exact same here. I think we should expect the unexpected this cycle, to be honest. Some schools are right on track (I'd say what, maybe 20-30%?) with their II and acceptances, but most schools are definitely bogged down with applications and it's going to take a while to see what'll happen!

For DO, I'm not sure. I was complete in October and have received multiple II. Maybe I'm more desirable to DOs at the moment? Who the **** knows anymore lol.

Reactions: 1 user
MS2 here but 3 of my 5 acceptances came from late interviews. 1 interview was in mid Jan, 1 interview in mid Feb., and 1 first week of march. Got into all without being waitlisted and got scholarships from the last 2 schools so its def possible.

Edit: I had submitted primaries early and got all secondaries in July but didn't submit until Oct. due to some stuff. all MD schools btw

MS2 here but 3 of my 5 acceptances came from late interviews. 1 interview was in mid Jan, 1 interview in mid Feb., and 1 first week of march. Got into all without being waitlisted and got scholarships from the last 2 schools so its def possible.

Edit: I had submitted primaries early and got all secondaries in July but didn't submit until Oct. due to some stuff. all MD schools btw
This is the dream right here.

This is the dream right here.
can't speak to how common it is but it is definitely possible. Also I know several of my classmates interviewed in Feb/March so it can't be that rare

Reactions: 1 users
I applied vary broadly and early (July); it was late December and I had not received any interviews, so I decided to apply to SMPs to fix my GPA (3.4, also ORM) for the next cycle. Then in late January, I got an II from one of my reach schools (well ranked Ivy) and was ecstatic; interviewed late Feb. That school was my only II and acceptance. Rejected/silence from everywhere else :)

Reactions: 7 users
I applied vary broadly and early (July); it was late December and I had not received any interviews, so I decided to apply to SMPs to fix my GPA (3.4, also ORM) for the next cycle. Then in late January, I got an II from one of my reach schools (well ranked Ivy) and was ecstatic; interviewed late Feb. That school was my only II and acceptance. Rejected/silence from everywhere else :)
Holy...

Reactions: 1 user
omg i'd simply pass away that's so crazy!

Went from II to A in under 2 weeks in March. Now I'm an M2 there.

You really never know