MD/JD Joint Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curtizz

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know what are the benefits of aquiring MD/JD degrees, and how can one put these two to work in their careers, will a person with both degrees make tons of money? or will they have to choose one career path over the other, any MD/JD's out there? your advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I also am curious about this route...I don't care about money issues, but i'm curious about how long it takes and what specifically is required for a JD.

I have an interest in Psychiatry and I have tossed around the idea of getting my JD for the purpose of legal cases that psychiatrists seem to often be involved in. I wonder if going this route would be a good idea if I had an interest in law as it relates to medicine.

Also, does anyone know if the MD/JD is by any means similar to MD/PHD where they pay your way. Stipends or anything like that? Any input would be greatly appreciated...especially from people who have legitimately looked into this route.

thanks.

I would say the MD/JD route is for the truly serious few who want to go into specific fields (e.g., biomedical ethics, health law, consulting, etc). I am going to med school this fall and had previously gone to law school. I only lasted 6 weeks until I decided that law is not for me (and I have familly members who are lawyers). curtizz -- Re: money, I don't think it will increase your earning power at all and it will add at least 2 more years of school (and tuition!!). dnt107 -- Re: psychiatrists being invloved in trials, unless you want to be the lawyer running the trial or writing the appeal, there is no reason for a psychiatrist to have a JD. And, if you are the attorney, all the 8+ years of medical and psychiatric training will do is help you ask the right questions during the trial or highlight issues on appeal. If you are interested in testifying at trials as a psychiatrist, it is much better to begin to work with the population you are interested in (e.g., serial killers (sociopaths), schizophrenics, etc) and become an EXPERT in that group of offenders/criminals. Also, you could concentrate your efforts in residency in forensic psychiatry. There is a sub-population of psychiatrists (forensic psychiatry) and attorneys who work in criminal law and use each other all the time for info and testifying. Also, as one of my criminal attorney family members just reminded me, forensic psychiatrists are sought after (i.e., it is a good field to go in to) and most of their work is paid by the federal or state government (i.e., no insurance co's and regular payments). Re: tuition remission for MD/PhD - I have not heard of that happening. I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Becky is a little off base on earning potential. Many of those with MD/JD do consulting work for the government, insurance organizations and for trial work. These individuals routinely make upwards of $1000/hr(!!!!).

However, I do agree tht such an option is best if you are looking at specific areas of work. The beniftis of holding both degrees are enormous. You can work wherever and whenever you want. When I was interviewing for medical school i was repeatedly told, "we need people in th emedical profession who better understand the law and can better fight for the medical field".

There are several joint programs (look at AAMC's web site ubnder joint programs). The only one that might fund you similar to MD/PhD is UIC.

Hey Japhy -
Thanks for the revisions to my statement. I obviously am not aware of the whole gammet of possibilities for the MD/JD and I did not mean to steer anyone away from it. However, I tried to be realistic about the psychiatry/JD option. It is true that MD/JDs have a very significant role in health policy and advising medical/health-related companies; but in criminal law the $$ is not nearly that high (more like $400/hr). This amount is not that high to me, as this is what a typical JD makes without the MD. The highest earning JDs are getting close to the $1000/hr level (at least in LA), so it is for that reason that I do not think the 8 years of MD training is worth it (when only talking about $$). In other words, the 8 years of lost earnings and 4 years of tuition over and above what the JD costs does not make the route attractive from a financial standpoint. However, if it is truly something you want to do, money shouldn't matter. (Note: As the first poster wanted to know about the possible $$, I thought I would explain why I said it wasn't worth it unless you're really committed.)

Also, just because I am curious, in your experience do all MD/JDs make this level of money ($1000/hr) or just the most sought after (at the top) who are consulting to large firms and companies?

Anyway, thanks for setting part of my comments straight. I think the most valuable part of this site is getting differing opinions when you post something.

Becky,

I am definitely not an expert in salaries, but from what I know the salary in LA and/or NY can be different from the salary somewhere in Wyoming or here in Oregon, though it will be enough for a comfortable life. I know couple MD/JD and tehy are in academia, some of others are trial lawyers, expert witnesses and so on. As to the education, it is tough. I saw few of my classmates leaving law school after first few weeks, it is very grueling experience, though sometimes it is easier than Med. School (was there done that).
I guess anybody who wants to have MD/JD has to contact programs and talk to people who are doing it, it is impossible to get firsthand info otherway.

Becky,

I would venture that most people that would suffer through medical and law school to be pretty talented, however, I personally only know of a few around my town and that was where I got those figures from. They are constantly flying all over the world for conferences, trials, etc.

Anyway, you make a great point about all the info we get on this site. I am looking at MD/JD in order to better understand public policy and ethics as it relates to medicine. I could pursue these interests without a JD but the law is so complex that a JD certainly helps.

japhy,

I bet you can reach your goal (public policy and ethics) without MD but unlikely so without JD. Health Law is in the process of constant development (new technologies, regulations adn so on) and you want to know the basis and basics of the law in general in order to understand Health Law. MD can give you some additional insight but JD will prevail in the MD/JD combination.

some schools offer a combined MD/JD program. IT's similar to an MD/Phd set up. You take two years of medical school, then take 2 years of law, and then you go back and finish 2 years of clinical medicine. IT's a long and expensive route, but the pay offs in the long run may be worth it. Check out AAMC website to see the schools that offer such a program. I know that UPENN offers such a program. But you need to be accepted to both the law school and the med school to be considered for the program. That means both MCAT and LSAT. I know if you have both degrees you can be a "professional medical witness." Think OJ and all those DNA questions. And at $1000 an hour... bring on the question!!! =)