MD LOR w/o letter head?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pisiform

Oh Crap!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am shadowing a physician (MD) and he is happy to give me LOR but he doesn't have any letter head. Its his own private clinic. He said he will just write his name, clinic address and phone number on the letter, He also said he is gonna stamp and seal it.

My question is would the letter still be eligible for med school app purposes?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools require letterhead to ensure that you didn't just randomly write a letter yourself, sign it, and attach the number to your dad's cell phone.

The letter you are describing may be accepted by some schools, but it will also be definitely rejected from other schools.

If the letter is VERY important to you, one suggestion might be to talk to the physician about helping him create a letterhead for the sole purpose of allowing him to write you a rec. It depends on how close you are with him as this request might be a bit awkward if he is not passionate about making your life easier and supporting you. Its up to you!

Other option: https://www.aamc.org/students/advisors/letterresources/252968/submittingaletterelectronically.html

Good luck!

What the above poster said. My school specifically requires that there is a letterhead or they won't send it in the first place.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys, I asked him and he has no problem. So I am making letterhead from him. He said he never actually thought about that ... he want 500 copies - i will order them through Fed Ex since its not my money and its faster

thanks guys, I asked him and he has no problem. So I am making letterhead from him. He said he never actually thought about that ... he want 500 copies - i will order them through Fed Ex since its not my money and its faster

^^ all things considered, it's not the worst LOR thank you present I've ever heard of!

Spring for thick quality paper... :)

I think the doc you're working for will be thankful you made a letterhead for him. I'm surprised he/she never had it, it's pretty standard. At least thats what I have gathered when thumbing thru patient charts and seeing correspondence from other doctors that I've seen (I work as a tech)