MD/MBA and psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petermoss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an MD/MBA (did a joint program) and am in the middle of a psychiatry residency. What opportunities are there for when I finish, and what can I do in the meantime to prepare & pad the resume?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

excellent inquiry. i hope to hear some insightful replies to this post. thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm getting close to being halfway through my EM residency (not quite, but close enough), so I am thinking along the same lines. Right now, the decision points on my mind that I hope will guide my projects and career development are:

1). Clinical medicine versus business after residency
2). If clinical medicine, academic setting versus community

At this point, I think I enjoy clinical medicine enough to try to find an attending job that has a clinical component; in addition, I think the protected time I would get in academia would better allow me to carve out a practice niche for my career.

As a result, I'm looking into research and projects that will get my foot in the door as a new attending when I apply for a job. I am in the process now of having meetings with as many potential mentors as possible (residency directors, chairmen, VP's, attendings, etc), getting advice on how best to strategically use the time I have left in residency to be able to transition into an interesting attending job straight out of residency.

If there is anyone out there who has more experience with this, I'd also love to hear any peals of wisdom.

The 2 psychiatrists that I know with MBAs have somewhat divergent career paths. One of them initially practiced hospital-based community psychiatry with some administrative responsibilities, then moved into the area of managed care mental health carve outs, working as medical director of a company's regional office. He did no clinical care, but did direct a lot of QA/QI measures and interacted directly with psych providers to give them feedback on the QA/QI (e.g. "why are 1/3 of your patients on a regimen consisting of Lamictal 50, Abilify 5, Seroquel 100, and Zoloft 50?") which he felt was going a long way towards improving overall quality of care for an employed and insured population. He transitioned to working for the non-profit mental health carve-out company covering a large number of managed medicaid programs, so has the ability to compare the quality of services provided between commercial for-profit insurance and non-profit medicaid.

The other person, took a job in an academic center and then used his administrative abilities to quickly move up the ranks, until he became a big-wig in the overall hospital administration. I'm not sure that he practiced psychiatry any longer, but he did talk extensively about the management style of psychiatrists being more a relational approach and how this helped him navigate some of the politics of the academic med center.

Hope that helps!

MBK2003

The 2 psychiatrists that I know with MBAs have somewhat divergent career paths. One of them initially practiced hospital-based community psychiatry with some administrative responsibilities, then moved into the area of managed care mental health carve outs, working as medical director of a company's regional office. He did no clinical care, but did direct a lot of QA/QI measures and interacted directly with psych providers to give them feedback on the QA/QI (e.g. "why are 1/3 of your patients on a regimen consisting of Lamictal 50, Abilify 5, Seroquel 100, and Zoloft 50?") which he felt was going a long way towards improving overall quality of care for an employed and insured population. He transitioned to working for the non-profit mental health carve-out company covering a large number of managed medicaid programs, so has the ability to compare the quality of services provided between commercial for-profit insurance and non-profit medicaid.

The other person, took a job in an academic center and then used his administrative abilities to quickly move up the ranks, until he became a big-wig in the overall hospital administration. I'm not sure that he practiced psychiatry any longer, but he did talk extensively about the management style of psychiatrists being more a relational approach and how this helped him navigate some of the politics of the academic med center.

Hope that helps!

MBK2003

great post. thanks!