MD/MBA for Versatility?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoffeeCzar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always had an interest in business and I am considering pursuing an MD/MBA once I choose which MD acceptance I will enroll at (likely Ohio State).

Mainly, I want to get the MBA because I see it as a great investment (only 1 year) and it will give me a leg up on other docs when it comes to private practice, and if I decide that that I am no longer happy practicing medicine because of the future climate (health care reform), I will having an easier time pursuing other options outside of clinical practice. I also have a strong interest in both business and health policy.

Is this a good idea, or, am I considering an MD/MBA for the wrong reasons?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've always had an interest in business and I am considering pursuing an MD/MBA once I choose which MD acceptance I will enroll at (likely Ohio State).

Mainly, I want to get the MBA because I see it as a great investment (only 1 year) and it will give me a leg up on other docs when it comes to private practice, and if I decide that that I am no longer happy practicing medicine because of the future climate (health care reform), I will having an easier time pursuing other options outside of clinical practice. I also have a strong interest in both business and health policy.

Thanks.

Sounds fine to me. I don't know how you can get a fully accredited MBA program done in one year though. Mine is gonna take about three years, but I am slowing up on the number of courses per semester here at the end. My main goal is to give full attention and take in as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks.

It won't help you too much in private practice unless you are working with/running a very large group

Members don't see this ad :)
The classes themselves can be learned easily on your own. The best parts about my program are being plugged into networks, working on projects, and having leaders take you under their wing. Granted I could probably get involved in projects as just a md student but paying the extra money really motivates you to put in the extra effort to make the most out of it...

An MBA can certainly open up opportunities if you apply your education and establish important networks with key individuals. If you see yourself exploring alternatives to clinical medicine or you'd like to get invoked in medical management, then an MBA could be quite beneficial.

Thanks.

seems to make sense, I'm an MBA just starting med school -- have met a number of docs and others who are more in the public policy area, there is a fair amount of respect for what I've done in business. But that may be the 15 yrs business experience rather than mainly the MBA. But the MBA lets me think broad scale (limited resources to treat unlimited demand for health goods) rather than "I need to treat this one patient as if he or she were my parent/grandparent, regardless of cost"

I think public policy is much more business-oriented than medically oriented. A person with a masters in public policy told me recently about a class that had an exercise called "which patient should die"; 4 or so patients and not enough $$ to cover them all -- the 80 yr old nobel winner the 25 yr old downs syndrome patient, etc.. this is more how a business person/mba is trained to think; we don't have sufficient resources to do everything that is good and therefore need to decide what to do and what not to do. The MBA helps with this if this is what you're interested in.