MD / MBA Program (USC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koercive

Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MD / MBA Program (USC)
anyone familiar with this program?

I am doing pre-med and have an interest in business as well. Are the requirements/average gpa and mcat scores stricter?

http://www.usc.edu/schools/medicine/education/degrees_programs/mdp/mdmba.html

Quite a few schools are offering these joint MD/MBA programs and most seem to be operating the same way - you apply for straight MD, and then during your 1st two years (I believe it's during your 2nd year?) you apply for the MBA program. Then you'd take a year off in between 2nd & 3rd year to get your MBA. From what I understand, some schools will use the MCAT in place of the GMAT or whatever standardized test is used to get into MBA school....

In California, UC Irvine and UCLA also offer this. I don't think UCSF does, as of yet, and I'm not sure about Stanford, UCSD, etc.

I'm not quite an MD (PharmD here), but I am in the MBA program also, so I figure the admission criterion might be similar.

For pharm, we've to apply in our first year and take off in our 2nd year. As for the admission, the decision is seperate and you must file the application along with all the works (transcript, GMAT, LoR etc).

As for the statistics, I believe so as long as your GMAT and GPA is in the competitive range (aka around the mean), you are almost guranteed in. As a pre-med, I'm sure your GMAT and GPA will be fine, so focus on your med application.