Md Mba?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farrah

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here doing that? OR done it? I know of people who want to pursue that.

Members don't see this ad.

Both periodic and I are headed down this road. I am still entertaining MD/JD and haven't made a definite decision yet. They are two separate paths, both are appealing. Do you have any particular questions on it?

CCW

I'm doing it, although via the bass-ackwards route of getting the MBA first (graduated last May), and then the MD (starting this fall).

Members don't see this ad :)
I am definitely looking into it closely, but haven't decided. I'm not quite sure exactly where I want to end up and which skill set (MBA, MPP, JD, PhD in a social science, or none of the above) would be best. MD/MBA programs are the most prevalent and well-developed though, given the demand for physicians with managerial know-ho.

Long story short, I like being in school, and the more years the better. And loans. Lots of loans....

i have a question regarding these programs....do they necessarily require students to have some background in business classes in order to be enrolled in them......or can they allow students in who have no experience at all in the field......might be a stupid question so correct me please if i'm wrong...

Originally posted by cache20033
i have a question regarding these programs....do they necessarily require students to have some background in business classes in order to be enrolled in them......or can they allow students in who have no experience at all in the field......might be a stupid question so correct me please if i'm wrong...

Generally speaking, business school admission requires some sort of background in business, economics, etc. Some schools with well-developed MD/MBA programs, however, actually save spots in the medical school for students doing the joint degree, and it is therefore much easier to get accepted, even if you don't have the business background.

If you don't have the background (and to a lesser extent, even if you do), you do need to have well-articulated reasons for wanting to pursue a joint-degree.

Originally posted by periodic
If you don't have the background (and to a lesser extent, even if you do), you do need to have well-articulated reasons for wanting to pursue a joint-degree.

The most well-respected and well-received reason for pursuing both degrees is:

"Cash, flow, money, HOs"

;)

Do you know what schools do the combined MD/MBA?

EDIT: a more comprehensive list from AAMC website:

Baylor College of Medicine
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
University at Buffalo State University of New York School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
University of Florida College of Medicine
Dartmouth Medical School
Duke University School of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Indiana University School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
University of Kentucky College of Medicine
University of Louisville School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
University of Minnesota Medical School - Twin Cities
Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
UMDNJ--New Jersey Medical School
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Yale University School of Medicine
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
University of California, Davis, School of Medicine
Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
McGill University Faculty of Medicine
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign
Drexel University College of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
University of California, Irvine, College of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
University of Illinois College of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA

Originally posted by snapdad
I'm doing it, although via the bass-ackwards route of getting the MBA first (graduated last May), and then the MD (starting this fall).

Im with snapdad, I got my MBA first (graduated in August) and will be pursuing an MD.

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
The most well-respected and well-received reason for pursuing both degrees is:

"Cash, flow, money, HOs"

;)

What kind of doctor/job position do you hope to have? I've been seriously considering pursuing a joint degree, but I'm not sure if I really need an MBA, or if I should just take a few business classes instead. How much more money would you make with both degrees?

Note: this is a question, not an opinion

Why would somebody choose an MD/MBA degree plan over an MD/MPH? I know that an MPH is pretty broad, but it seems alot of academic aministrators have one. Would an MBA be more suited for jobs with private health providers?

Originally posted by Bad Mojo
Note: this is a question, not an opinion

Why would somebody choose an MD/MBA degree plan over an MD/MPH? I know that an MPH is pretty broad, but it seems alot of academic aministrators have one. Would an MBA be more suited for jobs with private health providers?

The way I see it, many people have an MPH and much fewer have an MBA. That's why a lot of academic administrators have one...along with a lot of other people with MDs. Having an MBA would make you stand out more. I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure that the number of people enrolled in an MD/MPH program greatly outnumbers the number of MD/MBA candidates.

It seems like having an MBA would be especially useful in private practice. I worked at a physician's office with several locations where the owner was looking for a partner with an MBA to help take care of the business side of things. I'm sure it would also help if you want to do more administrative work in a hospital.

I plan to start my MBA this summer. do you know what kind of MBA is more useful since there are different concentration like accounting, e-business....? Also, if you are half way done with the MBA degree, can you still transfer or continue during med school?

thanks