1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Md/mba

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by usdtdc, Apr 27, 2004.

1. usdtdc

usdtdc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Who out there is interested in getting a dual MD/MBA? How is this playing into your medical school choice? Some require GMAT, others do not. Some programs (like Wharton at Penn) will not usually take med students without some prior business experience into the dual program. Insights on USC or UCLA's dual program (the two places that I'm considering)?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. klooless

klooless Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

...posts like these make me wonder where you people get your information...

4. Mr. Rosewater

Mr. Rosewater Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

what's so wrong w/ this post?

5. SoCalOrBust

SoCalOrBust Plays well with others
    7+ Year Member

Hey Usdtdc-

That guy at USC said that the folks at Marshall know that as premeds we don't have much business experience. I guess most of that is replaced with community service and stuff like that.

6. Heal&Teach

Heal&Teach cogito ergo sum
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was thinking about getting a MBA degree, but then decided against the extra year... I figure that I'd get plenty of health care management experience practicing in the real world. The only requirement you'll need for the MBA program is the GMAT (I'd suggest that you take the test now so that you won't have to worry about another standardized exam in med school), which is a GRE-type test with more of an analytical skills assessment. It does not test your knowledge of business, just the degree of how well you integrate information. I'm not sure that it will really matter where you get your MBA from, esp. since the MBA will not be your primary degree. I think that as long as you've got solid reasons for wanting to pursue the MBA, you shouldn't have a problem getting into a dual degree program. The programs are very intense too, so make sure that you know what you're getting into before you begin a program (i.e., some begin in the summer and won't allow you to do other kinds of research if that is your desire).

Best,
    H&T

A discussion on MD/MBA in allo: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=117958