MD-MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nkg123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know anybody who has done this, and how they benefited from this dual degree. What kind of career path did you choose or is possible with this type of degree? Has anyone gone into consulting after this? What kind of consulting?
Thank you in advance for your replies and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

U can be a maneger in a hospital.

If you are going to be a consultant, why bother killing yourself in Medical School?
Why not simply get a MBA/MPH, MBA/MHA, MBA/MPA, etc? A lot cheaper and a lot easier! Even an MBA/PhD might make as much sense. The cost-benefit analysis has got to be more favorable for consultants who didn't go to medical school and residency training (read: sunk costs).

Also, as Neville Sarkari posted in a similar thread, you might be better off finding an experienced honest accountant than trying to handle all of the business aspects yourself (with an MBA). That said, the combined degree program is becoming more popular, so some schools are doing a good job of marketing!

Just my $0.02...

I got an MBA before starting med school, but since I'm only a first year I don't have first-hand experience with what one can do with an MD/MBA...yet.

Here's what I think anyway...
First of all, I think going into private practice without business training is a risky way to introduce oneself to that aspect of medicine.
Second, if you're intersted in administration the people in charge of running hospitals are often MDs and they make A TON of money (if you're into that).
Third, no matter what you do, as a physician you are going to make money and an MBA will help you with personal financial management.
And lastly, business school teaches you how to be part of an organization. I took classes like Power and Politics, The Art and Science of Negotiations, and Organizational Behavior while in B-school. You'll learn how to work with people and how to get people to work with you.
I'm glad I did it.