MD/MBA???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nezlab99

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering the MD/MBA program at my state school, and everyone here thinks its the best way to go because managed health care. I'm wondering how people outside of all this propaganda feel about MD/MBAs. Is anyone considering pursuing it. Do you think it's really worth the trouble? Does anyone know someone who has done it?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought about it for a while, because eventually I'd like to go into health care policy/administration (like when i'm really really stankin old), but... this is jimo, but i don't think MD/MBA is the way to go then. why not just get MD/MPH, which is also 5 years. MBA school is basically a bunch of common sense crap, you won't learn a thing. (okay, jimo again), the whole value of MBA school is to make connections -- to network. but what do you need to network for with these peopl that are going on into finance, etc. the MPH, you'd actually learn a lot about public health
one exception to this are the MD/MBA programs that are designed specifically for future health care mgmt execs.

$0.02

I have an MPH and I think it is invaluable for the perspective it gives you on health, health care and populations.

That being said, an MBA will allow you to be heard (give you credibility) among hospital administrators and other business types. You need to understand the business of medicine if you want to really be a good administrator. If you plan to get into admin, you probably can't do it with just an MD.

If you want to kill both birds, get an MPH, but specialize in the Health Services side of it. Check out UCLA's School of Public Health website, they have information about their five different departments of public health. Health Services is one of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that you can say that one should do an MPH instead of an MBA. They are two completely different degrees. If you are truly interested in the business side of medicine, do the MBA. MBAs learn a basic framework for business, including marketing, accounting and general management.

I personally would not enjoy doing an MBA. My experience with them at Wash U is they most are conservative and arrogant, whose main objective is to make as much money as possible. Having an MD student in their midst who actually cares about people would be a plus.

That said I am not against the MBA. It will certainly open doors that an MD will not and might be a welcome reprieve from the rigors of becoming a doctor.

Thanks for the replies.

i've been speaking to some students who are doing MD/MBAs and also some with MD/MPHs.

i think that if you want to do something like work in government, with health policy, etc., an MPH is the way to go. you can concentrate in health administration.

but if you want say, open up a private practice or run a hospital, an MBA is what you want.

that said, i'm still really confused about what i want bc i'm not really sure!