MD med students - how are you taught to treat the patient?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supertrooper66

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not writing this to troll. I do my undergrad in a city with a top DO school. I am around many ppl who choose this school. If they could decide between the DO school and the MD state school, most take the MD one. However, the one's who do DO say DO is better because they look at the patient as a whole, as a person. Then they follow it with a story how when they shadowed the DO put his hands on a boy's paining stomach to relax his diaphragm. Afterwards, the boy felt fine. They say that's an example on what a DO does over MDs.

Since you all are obviously in MD med schools, I want your take. How are you taught to handle the patient? When I hear the DO argument, I think it's ludacris. The MDs I've shadowed seem to care about the patient as a person, as well. I haven't actually shadowed any DOs, though, so I really haven't seen the differnece firsthand.

again, this is not a trolling post! I really need this anwered because I need to determine if I should apply to DO schools along with MD ones in this next week. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, it's "ludicrous", what you wrote is a rapper's name. Secondly, we're taught to figure out what the problem is, and then treat it if treatment is necessary. Relaxing someone's diaphragm would play quite a number on their breathing. If all it takes to treat an aching belly is putting your hands on it, it was probably gas.

There are good, caring doctors who are both M.D.'s and D.O.'s.

Members don't see this ad :)
This kind of thing is the DO 'sales pitch'. Whatever. We're taught to consider all the patient's symptoms, attempt to find the symptoms they aren't mentioning, consider their psychological, social, physiological, and all other aspects of their lives that could contribute to their problems, and attempt to help them with their problems. We just don't have a catch-phrase for it, and don't attempt to go around claiming other professions don't do it. Except for chiropractors. But that's another story :)

I thought this thread was locked. No surprise the OP is banned.

Don't need the MD versus DO debate. The OPs question is answerd and now this is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.