Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MD/MPH applicants?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sunflower79, Oct 30, 2001.

1. sunflower79

sunflower79 Plays well with knives
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm considering this joint program when I apply in the future. Can you please tell me your reasons for applying to a joint program instead of applying to MD and then taking a year to do the MPH? I'd also appreciate info on how competitive these programs are. -- thanks :)

2. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm moderately sure these programs are no more competitive than standard MD programs as it's likely you won't get the same funding as an MSTP student. Also, there's relatively little interest in such programs and consequently few schools offering them formally.

3. Epi

Epi Fuzzy Tiger
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I believe at some schools you apply to MD program first, get accepted, and then during first year of medical school can apply to do a MPH too. But i think thats only true at certain schools so you might want to look up that.

4. rajneel1

rajneel1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

joint programs are better because generally they are shorter then getting the MD and then the MPH. they are more intricatley woven into the MD curriculum so your MD traning will supplement the MPH. also some schools offer them in the same time as your MD like Tufts and Northwestern. and once you are an MD...will you really have the time and motivation to go back to school for a MPH? think about that. some schools you apply after acceptance and others you apply before. and at some schools there is no formal degree thing and you can take public health courses at their graduate public health place. and i don't think that they are any more competitive.