• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

azuldelcielo

10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
After visiting several schools for interviews, I noticed that many of them have an MD/MPH dual degree program. Many other applicants have been interested in the programs, but I've never really thought about getting an MPH. Out of curiosity, for those who plan on getting an MD/MPH, why are you interested in pursuing the degree, and what do want to accomplish with it?

Thanks.

ami1983

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
After visiting several schools for interviews, I noticed that many of them have an MD/MPH dual degree program. Many other applicants have been interested in the programs, but I've never really thought about getting an MPH. Out of curiosity, for those who plan on getting an MD/MPH, why are you interested in pursuing the degree, and what do want to accomplish with it?

Thanks.

i am interested in pursuing the degree because i know i will be working with minority populations, and an MPH (usually) helps you learn how culture, social factors etc interface with healthcare in today's society. An MPH can also focus on health prevention/promotion, versus post-disease/injury care. I had an interviewer tell me that if he could change pre-med education, he would make people learn about epigenetics and biostatistics (among other subjects)- which one would learn about with an MPH...

ami1983

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
also, if you're interested in health policy or 'running the show' at a hospital or other health-related agency, an MPH would be useful. basically shows you health/healthcare at a macro/population level.

About the Ads

Jonnymed

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
An MPH will help you gain more knowledge about how to change the messed up health care system.

BeardedRunner

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I would suggest taking a public health or global health course at your University before signing up for an MPH. I changed my mind right quick after taking 3 classes for a minor that I later dropped. It involves a lot of work with Excel spreadsheets and the all I can recall from these classes is that Sub-Saharan Africa is experiencing excruciating poverty, AIDS, and the highest infant mortality rate on Earth.

beachblonde

10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'm leaning towards getting an MPH because I like the idea of looking at health care at a level beyond the individual patient. I've taken some medical sociology and epidemiology courses and I really enjoyed them. Having the degree also gives you some career wiggle room, because it would allow you to go work in an arena that doesn't just involve directly treating patients.

Plus, it gives you the opportunity to take classes that aren't hardcore science. Always a nice chance to do something a bit different.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.