MD/MPH dual degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azuldelcielo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After visiting several schools for interviews, I noticed that many of them have an MD/MPH dual degree program. Many other applicants have been interested in the programs, but I've never really thought about getting an MPH. Out of curiosity, for those who plan on getting an MD/MPH, why are you interested in pursuing the degree, and what do want to accomplish with it?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

After visiting several schools for interviews, I noticed that many of them have an MD/MPH dual degree program. Many other applicants have been interested in the programs, but I've never really thought about getting an MPH. Out of curiosity, for those who plan on getting an MD/MPH, why are you interested in pursuing the degree, and what do want to accomplish with it?

Thanks.

i am interested in pursuing the degree because i know i will be working with minority populations, and an MPH (usually) helps you learn how culture, social factors etc interface with healthcare in today's society. An MPH can also focus on health prevention/promotion, versus post-disease/injury care. I had an interviewer tell me that if he could change pre-med education, he would make people learn about epigenetics and biostatistics (among other subjects)- which one would learn about with an MPH...

also, if you're interested in health policy or 'running the show' at a hospital or other health-related agency, an MPH would be useful. basically shows you health/healthcare at a macro/population level.

Members don't see this ad :)
An MPH will help you gain more knowledge about how to change the messed up health care system.

I would suggest taking a public health or global health course at your University before signing up for an MPH. I changed my mind right quick after taking 3 classes for a minor that I later dropped. It involves a lot of work with Excel spreadsheets and the all I can recall from these classes is that Sub-Saharan Africa is experiencing excruciating poverty, AIDS, and the highest infant mortality rate on Earth.

I'm leaning towards getting an MPH because I like the idea of looking at health care at a level beyond the individual patient. I've taken some medical sociology and epidemiology courses and I really enjoyed them. Having the degree also gives you some career wiggle room, because it would allow you to go work in an arena that doesn't just involve directly treating patients.

Plus, it gives you the opportunity to take classes that aren't hardcore science. Always a nice chance to do something a bit different.