MD/MPH in Health Management and Policy vs. MD/MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VersedGuy82

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone elaborate on what they feel would be the job pros and/or cons of going the MD/MPH route in Health Policy and Mangement vs MD/MBA. I am a U.S. MD hoping to become a medical director at a pharmaceutical company or one day be the C.M.O or C.E.O. of a healthcare insurance company (hmo). I am planning on doing a general preventive medicine residency that will allow me to earn a MPH (tuition paid) and board certification in preventive medicine. Would either route (MPH or MBA) be ok or is their a preferred route you would suggest? Or should I even get the MBA and the MPH both?) Please give me your advice on this matter!

Members don't see this ad.

You've outlined two distinct career paths: pharma vs. health insurance. I suggest an MBA if you're interest in to really understand the business aspects of these industries. You can also get there without an MBA or MPH (as long as you have an MD), so remember that success isn't dependent on a degree. Rather, it's dependent on your experiences, skills, and social networks.