MD/MPH in Health Policy & Administration worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scruffy821

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm about to wrap up the mph portion of my mph/md between 2nd and 3rd year. I'd wait until residency or attending. You'll be able to integrate the material more directly into what you're doing

Hi everyone!

I need some advice. I'm currently a 22- year-old M1 at UIC-Chicago who has a likely acceptance to UIC's joint-degree MD/MPH (in Health Policy and Administration) program. I'm feeling conflicted on whether or not I should go through with this program. I would take some classes this coming summer, and then I would take a year off between M3 and M4 to finish the MPH degree. Overall it'd cost around $20K, but money is not a HUGE concern.

My thoughts- is it worth getting an MPH in Health Policy and Administration? Or should I be getting an MBA instead? I am hoping to go into psychiatry or neurology in the future and would love working in mental health care public policy or administration, which is why I was considering this degree. Should I be waiting to see if I could get the degree for free during residency or fellowship? This sounds appealing, but I'm concerned that by that point, I'll be trying to settle down with life and not be as willing to take the effort to get the degree. An MBA could be useful, but it would require taking addition standardized exams and the like.

Please help!
Is medical school not hard enough for you?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is medical school not hard enough for you?

Most MBA/MPH programs that are associated with medical school involve taking a year off from school and are quite easy (based on testimonials from classmates, n = 10) compared to the rigors of medical school.

OP - If you're interested in it and are willing to pay an extra year of tuition (while simultaneously giving up one year of attending salary in your practicing future) then go for the MPH/MBA, likely between MS3 and MS4. In regards to which one you should get, it depends. Public Policy and Administration aren't necessarily the same thing. I know 8 people getting an MBA and 2 getting an MPH, FWIW. I have no desire to get either of those so I haven't done any research into what additional degrees the people at the top prefer.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah it's not going to be adding any stress to med school, as I'm going to be taking the classes in between M3 and M4 year/during this summer. I get the idea that I could do it later on, I'm just worried that that would take more time/I wouldn't have as much of a drive to complete it if I start doing things like having a family and the like.

Amused by the irony of making the word "huge" huge, while saying that money is not a huge concern.

Anyway, as someone who previously did a terminal Master's degree in an unrelated field prior to having any relevant work experience in said field, I would encourage almost anyone to not do this. Later in your career, you'll have a lot more to add to and gain from the Master's courses. You'll also be coming fresh into school with more concrete career interests. And you might not have to pay $20,000 for the degree...that will subsequently accrue interest at 6.8%.

Reactions: 1 user