MD/MPH Inisghts Requested

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD-To Be

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am preparing to enter medical school at Wright State University and am considering applying to an MD/MPH dual-degree program. I have read numerous previous posts regarding the specifics of such programs but I was hoping to hear from current medical students:
(1) why they chose to pursue a MPH in addition to their MD,
(2) how the program has been going,
(3) and what they hope to use their MPH for in their future careers; mainly if they are considering focusing more on patient care or getting involved in physician leadership to some degree.

Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

MD-To Be said:
I am preparing to enter medical school at Wright State University and am considering applying to an MD/MPH dual-degree program. I have read numerous previous posts regarding the specifics of such programs but I was hoping to hear from current medical students:
(1) why they chose to pursue a MPH in addition to their MD,
(2) how the program has been going,
(3) and what they hope to use their MPH for in their future careers; mainly if they are considering focusing more on patient care or getting involved in physician leadership to some degree.

Thanks for the input.

Is there no-one with any insight to share?

MD-To Be said:

Hello MD-To Be! Sometimes its really hard to get feedback in this forum, but I'll share with you what insight I have. I'm currently working on the MPH portion of a 5-year MD/MPH program and I absolutely love it, its the best thing I could have done.

1. I chose to apply for several reasons:
-I was really burnt out on medical school and wanted a break without getting too far from academia
-I've been interested in public health since college (had a cool internship at the KDOT safety belt education office)
-There was a fabulous scholarship available. What's not to like about free education?

2. I am loving the program :love: . The program directors have been very supportive through the entire process of applying and choosing to take a year off from school, answering my myriad of questions. I currently work mornings for the National Cancer Institute and do school in the afternoons and early evenings, overall giving me a 9-6 sort of schedule. The program at KU is very general giving me the option of choosing lots of electives. I've begun working on my big project and will be able to be involved with the pilot study from the ground up, which is a fabulous learning experience.

3. I'm not really sure what I want to do with my degree, but I would love to work with underserved communities. I also want to have the option of working less than 80 hours a week and having a more stable schedule if I choose to start a family.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

~lilmo

Members don't see this ad :)
MD-To Be said:

I am a graduate of a 4 year MD/MPH program and reccomend it to anyone who is thinking about it. I'm now on active duty with the Navy and I'm always suprised at the little ways having an MPH helps me out.

The MPH, in addition to some sort of clinical degree, is a very useful and versitile thing to have. Quite a bit of medical education is focused on tertiary care, and MPH helps give you a more population/prevention/primary care perspective. You also get a little bit more statistics and epidemiology, which is great if you are considering academics and will be writing papers.

At the very worst, you never use the degree at all, but you enrich yourself with some interesting coursework and make yourself look more impressive on paper when you go to apply for residency.

Did you find it difficult to complete both degrees in only 4 years? It's definitely possible, but it seems so intense.

lilmo said:
Did you find it difficult to complete both degrees in only 4 years? It's definitely possible, but it seems so intense.

There was definitely a little extra effort involved, but I wouldn't go as far to say that it made things difficult. I basically showed up the summer before 1st year to start MPH classes, then stayed around between first and second year to take additional classes. Took a few classes here and there during 1st and 2nd year, then finished up everything 4th year. I think a key part of making a 4 year combined degree program pheasable is how well everything is integrated and how much understanding you receive from faculty. At Tulane, where I was at, the MD/MPH program actually had its own dean, and we had MD advisors that guided us through everything. Many of my MPH professors were attendings I'd see around the hospital, so I never had a problem with conflicting responsibilities.

DaveB said:
There was definitely a little extra effort involved, but I wouldn't go as far to say that it made things difficult. I basically showed up the summer before 1st year to start MPH classes, then stayed around between first and second year to take additional classes. Took a few classes here and there during 1st and 2nd year, then finished up everything 4th year. I think a key part of making a 4 year combined degree program pheasable is how well everything is integrated and how much understanding you receive from faculty. At Tulane, where I was at, the MD/MPH program actually had its own dean, and we had MD advisors that guided us through everything. Many of my MPH professors were attendings I'd see around the hospital, so I never had a problem with conflicting responsibilities.

very cool!