MD/MPH International Health - Waste of money?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by gaikokujin, Dec 19, 2005.

1. gaikokujin

gaikokujin Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi y'all! I'm a T1 at Tulane (Go NOLA!!!!). I was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on pursuing an MD/MPH in International Health? I really want some kind of international career, and this is why I first became interested in the MD/MPH. I taught English in Asia for a year and it made me realize I want to work internationally in the future. After going through the hurricane this year, I'm definitely interested in disaster management. However, I'm wondering if the MPH degree is really worth the extra $18,000 I'm going to go into debt for it. In addition, I don't speak any other languages to proficiency level (which is a requirement for the international health concentration), so I would have to invest more time into learning a second language during medical school. Basically, is all this time and money investment actually going to get me anything? Any of you MS2/3/4s MD/MPH's have any light to shed on this? Or is this just going to be another talking point when interview for residencies? Do you think the MPH dual degree actually positively contributes towards getting into residencies for a middle-of-the pack student (ahh, I miss being SMART in college!)?

2. gaikokujin

gaikokujin Member
    7+ Year Member

3. MD2b20004

MD2b20004 Membership Revoked
    Removed

depends, if you want to do it for the letters aka the MPH title its a waste of time, think about what you want to specialize in and what field you want to work in and if it will be an asset to you. If anything you can always go back and get a 1 year MPH from schools like Harvard in less time (9 months) or if you feel like you want to open your own business than other degrees may be more helpful like an MBA. I say do the MD for now and dont consider it until your 100% sure what you want to do in the future. My 2 cents.

Mike

4. uptoolate

uptoolate SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

I did a one year MPH and $18,000 seems like a serious bargain to me. Don't know about the rest of your question.