MD-MPH programs? Useful? Worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Little Etoile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my situation:

I took two public health classes as an undergrad, one which I failed on P/NP basis, one I earned an an A in and a LOR from.

My future plans for practicing medicine involve global health and practicing medicine in international under-served communities, which I have volunteer experience in. In general I can see myself gravitating more toward work in policy and heading boards of non-profit organizations than just settling down into a private practice.

My question is: is it a good idea to apply for MPH, both from a practical standpoint (e.g. do I have a strong enough background?) and from an application standpoint (e.g. will this be the most useful route for what I'm interested in doing?)?

I'm just worried that I'll screw myself by not having a strong enough background and/or that the program is not useful enough for me to go through the trouble.

Also, someone once told me that applying MPH-MD is actually beneficial because less people apply to that program so you increase your chances of getting in. Is this true?

Thanks for any thoughts you have!

Members don't see this ad.