SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MD/MPH

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Skye04, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Skye04

Skye04 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 15, 2001
    USofA
    Has anyone done one of these combined programs? Is it more intensive than just doing the MD alone? Any advice welcome... :)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. jen628

jen628 Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 1, 2001
    east
    I sort of did. Well, my university doesn't have a school of public health. To some people that's bad, but I preferred it because that meant I got to spend a year somewhere else, getting a break from med school altogether to get my MPH. I did it between second and third year. You can really choose any time, I don't know that any are better than another, but everyone will try to convince you should do it at a certain time.

If you are interested in that type of thing, I highly recommend it as it not only teaches you about public health, it provides you with a much broader perspective while you are practicing medicine. I have actually been able to give attendings information when they start to complain about certain policy restrictions or insurance tightropes that they actually aren't so well versed on. But that's just a small perk ;)

Anyway, you should go to a program that offers a lot of education in your personal interest within public health. For example, some programs might be weak in health economics or weak in outbreak control, for examples. I would also suggest going somewhere that offers a program for those already in the medical field. The MPH year is really not as academically challenging as the first two medical years. So, you also have time to do your master's research and anything else you've been wanting to do with your life before you start your career.

I also hear it helps you get a decent residency-and that was even from a *surgical* advisor. cooooool ;)

4. Skye04

Skye04 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 15, 2001
    USofA
    bump...