Md/mph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pwrpfgrl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is anyone else applying to MD/MPH programs? i'm a little worried suddently after getting the OHSU secondary - they make it sound like it's much more difficult to get into the MD/MPH program as compared to the MD program. but, they also seem to imply (maybe i'm wrong) that if you apply MD/MPH that you aren't eligible for the regular MD. while the MPH is important to me - if i had to choose i'd just go in to the MD program w/o the MPH.

so what's the deal with these programs - are they like MD/PHD where it's harder to get in compared to just MD?? :(

any insights would be greatly appreciated!!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know about most schools, once you get into the MD program you are pretty much entered into the MPH program (if u wish to double up). It's different for MD/MBA or MD/JD or MD/PhD (you aren't guaranteed admission into the MBA/JD/phD programs).

Once u are in the MD program all you have to say is pretty much "go" and they will set you up on the MD/MPH path.
There are some schools that require you to apply separately though (one application to MD program and another to MPH program).

i sent a letter to each school I applied MD/MPH saying if I was not accepted to their dual program I was still very interested in the MD.

At most places, the MPH school is far easier to get into then the MD, so dont stress

- wexy

Members don't see this ad :)
at tulane,
you don't even have to apply to the dual md/mph.
you just apply to the md program and once you are in, you can take classes in the public health school. You then fill out their application- but they automatically accept you if you're a med student.

You take as many classes as you want in the public health school and it's totally free.. If you built up enough credits and take enough courses-- then you have the option. If you want the MPH degree, you'll have to pay 13k in back tuition. Otherwise, you don't take the degree and you just got a free education.

At SLU- same thing- but you don't have to pay the tuition back.. you just have to work harder. It seemed the students at SLU have to work much harder to get an mph then the students at tulane. I met a lot of kids at tulane doing both the mph and md, and they all planned to finish within the same 4 years.

according to a med student friend in my mph class (n=1, a la jot), md/mph programs are not necessarily harder to get into. there usually is no set aside funding as there is with mstps, and some programs will let you decide after you matriculate whether you want to do a mph or not. she says that her having a clear idea what she wanted to do with her md/mph probably helped her out in the application process. mph programs are not nearly as hard to as phd or md programs, so i wouldn't think a md/mph would ne harder to get into necessarily. but dont just get a mph for the sake of getting it; if you have a true interest in public health, clincal reseacrh, management, policy, etc, go for it

Thanks everyone!! That's pretty much what I had thought - so it looks like i started to stress for no particular reason :) I am really interested in using my MPH in a public policy arena - but it would be secondary to taking care of patients, which is my first love. :love:

;)