MD/MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathologist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering lately about MD/MPH programs. What can you do with this type of dual degree? Does anyone know a website that can tell me which schools offer this? Does it cost extra to do this? How many years does the program take total? Thx to anyone who can answer any of these. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I also have been asking myself some of those questions. I know that it varies with the school. I think for the most part it is an extra year. I think again for the most part you take the MPH classes in between your second and third years. It does cost extra and you have to apply separately to the school of public health. Although from what I have been reading you can apply once you have already started med school. You can go to each individual schools websites and find out if they have a program. This is the extent of my knowledge thus far. Hope it helps. :)
KIM

Try the following links to get your answers:
www.asph.org
www.apha.org
www.cdc.gov

Personally, I'd only recommend accredited programs. Usually, you do your MPH year between the 2nd and 3rd years or after the 4th year.

Hope this helps...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by johnthestreak:
•what in the world is a MPH good for?•

well, for starters, if you have any interest in anything remotely 'public health'--epidemiology, health management, community health, environmental health, international or tropical medicine, etc, etc--then an MPH will offer you a much more specialized background than you would ever get in a standard MD program alone.

geez, how can a degree in something health-related possibly not be useful in some way for a future MD?

I was completely gung-ho on applying with the intent to enter a MD/MPH, then I learned a couple things:
1) It is much easier to get in to the MPH program once you start (as kspill mentioned)

2) You can learn alot more about the opportunites and yourself (whether MPH is right for you) once you have a year of med school under your belt

3) A few preventive medicine residencies include the MPH for FREE!

4) Schools like Yale, Stanford (sure there are others) that pay for the 5th year, would pay for the MPH

i recommend going to the Allopathic board and search or asking there, someone there would know more.
later

I was enrolled in the MD/MPH program until yesterday at Tufts. I decided to postpone my obtaining an MPH until i was sure what i was going to do after med school. Tufts MD/MPH program costs $3000 per year, takes no extra years, and is primarily done during the first two years, with most courses during your first semester. If you would like to know more, feel free to email me.

Regards,
Neel
M'05 Tufts University

the mph program at tulane can be completed with your md in four years (also, anyone who is accepted to the md program can get into almost any one of the mph programs as well).

one can take all the classes for free and if they want a piece of paper that says they have an mph . . . it cost $10,000 at the end. but the cool thing is that they give out 15 scholarships a year for this, so out about half of the people who graduate with it at tulane have it paid for.

tulane also has the only mph in tropical medicine, so for all you folks that invision yourself abroad in third world type places, it would definitely be a great opportunity to expand your knowledge and ability to help out others.

ps, one uses a lot of their elective time to fulfill the mph requirements at tulane.

Can an MD/MPH help you to get a career in public health administration?