MD or DO? Or even PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meezus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently made a post about wanting to go to med school with a low GPA and despite getting in some debates about whether I am capable of doing this, I took a while to think about my options and have more of a level-headed approach. I have a passion for medicine and honestly, I'm not sure if I can see myself doing anything else.

GPA: 2.65. B.A Psych. Terrible, I know. I was immature and careless. I have taken only 2 science courses because I had to as a university requirement, so I'd be signing up for classes at the local community college to complete the prerequisites and get no less than a 3.7 in any of my classes. At the same time, I'll hopefully be shadowing a physician.

My question(s): Where do I have the best chances? Do I have a better shot at taking all of the pre-med prereqs and acing them, and applying for a DO school? If I ace them, would I still need to do grade replacement? Or will a really high science GPA from the comm college possible be enough to rebound from a 2.65 and get into a decent MD program (assuming MCAT is good)?

Also, I'm looking into PA school. I'd rather be a practicing physician, but I do enjoy the fact that it is a little more flexible, work under doctors, good salary and a high demand position. For this, (I'm assuming, correct me if I'm wrong) I'd be taking the prereqs to get into a good PA school, GRE and also try to become a scribe or get an EMT certificate to complete the patient contact hours.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to retake a bunch of classes either for PA school or, if you are willing to spend a lot of time fixing things, osteopathic school. You won't be able to get your GPA up high enough for allopathic.

You need to have years of quality coursework under your belt before applying. Competence > compassion, and you need to prove to schools you are competent. We're talking all the prereqs, retaking all the classes you got anything below a B- in, and several additional science classes.

Reactions: 1 users