Quantcast

MD or DO schools in nice, family, affordable areas

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + 5 Med School Challenge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc0655

Reaction score
Any specific likes or dislikes. I am still a premed and would like to know people's opinions since I'll have two kids by the time I start (hopefully 2018).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

radian313

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any specific likes or dislikes. I am still a premed and would like to know people's opinions since I'll have two kids by the time I start (hopefully 2018).

Affordable does not always mean desirable......a lot of the DO schools for example are situated in rural areas and are relatively cheap places to live but because they are fairly rural may not be desirable to live in....

DrMikeP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pull up a map of schools, lots out there, and pick any school located in a rural area. Then go from there, as most cities will have higher costs of living and nice is very subjective.

Good luck

A

AnatomyGrey12

Wow way to give crap answers to a genuine question... Schools that are located in family friendly areas that also don't have NY pricing:

KCOM, DMU, Touro Nevada (Henderson), CUSOM, LMU, RVU

I'm sure there are others, these are just some of the main ones that I have been told directly by current or past students that are family friendly and have affordable COL. Some are more rural than others so do your own perusing to get a better feel. I will have two kids by the time I matriculate

Reactions: 2 users

futuredoc0655

Reaction score
AnatomyGrey12, u da man. Lol. I had posted another topic on funding and was made aware of the federal funding maxing out just over $200k so that's a nice relief. I will research the school's you mentioned.

Reactions: 1 user

ananasmed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Chicago burbs can be expensive, but CCOM is located in a beautiful western suburb that would be a wonderful place for your kids to grow up. Very pricey compared to rural areas, but it's worth looking into rental home prices if your family would prefer living in a more suburban environment.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    I think a lot of it also has to do with what your partner chooses to do with their life. Going to live in a rural area when your partner is a computer engineer is probably a great way to piss them off.

But generally every school not near a huge city has affordable living. Ex. Kansas City it's easy to find and rent a house for an affordable amount.

futuredoc0655

Reaction score
    Happens to be that my wife is interviewing this week with a nurse practitioner program. It's 5 semesters long and she'll be done by the time I'm ready

Ho0v-man

7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Happens to be that my wife is interviewing this week with a nurse practitioner program. It's 5 semesters long and she'll be done by the time I'm ready

Then you should really shoot for bigger towns so your wife can find a job. You don't want to end up an hour and a half from the nearest NP job.

femmegoblue

2+ Year Member
    Reaction score

Just my 0.02, but the MSUCOM locations in Macomb and East Lansing are in family friendly areas. Okemos, a well off suburb around EL, has awesome schools, but might have a higher CoL. Macomb's campus is located right in the middle of most bumpin' area of Macomb, the CoL is lower, and there's lot of normal suburban stuff to do.

bon22

5+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    AnatomyGrey12, u da man. Lol. I had posted another topic on funding and was made aware of the federal funding maxing out just over $200k so that's a nice relief. I will research the school's you mentioned.

RVU is definitely has a rural feel in a family friendly area while being close to downtown. I have yet to find a sketchy area in Parker (I don't count near the dollar store, that place always attracts the miscreants).

A

AnatomyGrey12

RVU is definitely has a rural feel in a family friendly area while being close to downtown. I have yet to find a sketchy area in Parker (I don't count near the dollar store, that place always attracts the miscreants).

Same concept as how whenever you fill up at a gas station the guy at the spot behind you always looks like he just finished mugging a passerby. It's crazy how it always seems to happen. The normal John Doe has to fill up his gas sometime you would think.

acapnial

7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Same concept as how whenever you fill up at a gas station the guy at the spot behind you always looks like he just finished mugging a passerby. It's crazy how it always seems to happen. The normal John Doe has to fill up his gas sometime you would think.

I've seen a few Broncos at the gas station nearest to RVU. Those guys are freaking huge but no 'mug you' vibe.

Azete

2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    MSUCOM is probably the first to come to mind. I'd also recommend VCOM-VA; Blacksburg has been ranked among the top 5 places in the country to raise a family in various publications.

futuredoc0655

Reaction score
    I've heard great things about Parker CO. I also heard tho that rvu isn't accredited to receive stafford funding. Is that true?

Seth Joo

Reaction score

AZCOM, DMU, PCOM Georgia, ATSU, and LECOM Bradenton are good choices for cost of living and quality of life. If that is your concern avoid DO schools located near major urban areas on the coasts.

Reaction score
    Define "nice." Define "affordable."

I've heard Erie has family friendly neighborhoods and family friendly neighborhoods, so that's definitely an option, but do your research before you commit to a lease! I will defer to @cabinbuilder on the schools-- not my area of expertise. LECOM-SH is in Greensburg, which is pretty safe except for a few pockets, and has easy access to the Pittsburgh area if your spouse needs to look there for jobs. My friends who had kids there all had kids under pre-school age, so I don't know much about the schools.

RVUCOM is less affordable than the LECOMs but could definitely be an option. I know that the Cherry Creek School District is great, and Littleton School District is very respectable.

AZCOM seemed like it was in a family friendly area, but their tuition probably doesn't qualify as affordable.

DMUCOM isn't too insanely expensive and Des Moines would be relatively affordable (no personal opinion on it).

I've heard great things about Parker CO. I also heard tho that rvu isn't accredited to receive stafford funding. Is that true?

This was true when they opened, but hasn't been true since they gained full accreditation several years ago now.

Seth Joo

Reaction score
    Erie, PA (LECOM) is super cheap to live in. Millcreek school district has excellent schools. Weather sucks but you are inside everyday anyway.

Erie is very cheap for living, also LECOM's tuition is low. That being said the winter weather there is very bleak. Between Erie and Bradenton, I would consider the latter if you do not like cold weather.

AZCOM has expensive tuition, but the cost living near campus is fairly low compared to large cities.

TCOM is another good school. Cost of living near the area is not that bad.

timau

Reaction score
    Surprised no one has brought up VCOM-Virginia campus. Area is affordable and blacksburg was voted as number 1 best place to raise a family for 2 years!

navigator

7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    As a student at TCOM, I'm verrry thankful for how hella cheap everything is. Tuition is also about $20k/year and if you're OOS, you can get a $1k scholarship which automatically qualifies you for in-state tuition. Fort Worth is a fairly large, friendly city with the amenities of a large metropolis without any of the congestion, traffic, etc.

futuredoc0655

Reaction score
    As a student at TCOM, I'm verrry thankful for how hella cheap everything is. Tuition is also about $20k/year and if you're OOS, you can get a $1k scholarship which automatically qualifies you for in-state tuition. Fort Worth is a fairly large, friendly city with the amenities of a large metropolis without any of the congestion, traffic, etc.

Thanks, navigator. I've been to the Fort Worth and Arlington area and you're right. Thank you for the heads up on that scholarship option for the OOS tuition.

What year are you in right now? How do you like it?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    7. This thread is locked.