MD or DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krushna2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm currently a 3rd year at Pre-Med with a biology major. My cumulative GPA as of now is ~3.2 and I'm almost done with prereqs.... This year I am taking high science courses
I hope my GPA will boost to 3.4 to 3.5.

I am having the following activities
Research: Biotechnology research through a program 16 hours/week over ~4 semesters (2nd year and 3rd year) No publications, two poster presentations got award certificate.

Volunteering (clinical): 200 hours in hospital (Kaiser, UC Davis), 100 hours in community clinic for medically Under Represented Minority,
100 hours in Gynecology in India
Physician Shadowing: Total: 124 hours (surgeon, internal medicine)

Non-clinical volunteering: food for Homeless shelter: ~32 hours, volunteering in local community –40 hours, 24 hours for disability people, 8 hours for Aids awareness,
Extracurricular activities: Secretary of Student Government for the past two years and am involved on an on-campus, Lead the team for religious activities
Employment history: employed part-time (~20 hours) throughout college working Mathnasium (2nd year onward), part time at Old Navy in summer

I took my on August 5th, 2016 and expecting 506.I've read around the forums for applying in June 2016 which is for fall 2017 and I'm looking for some advice.
1) Should I apply this time or wait until next year?

Completing my AAMC first application with 2-3 days (before August 15, 2016)
which college I am more chances to accept it.

Any help is appreciated. Thx

Members don't see this ad.

Apply next year and have everything ready as soon as you can. If you apply now, you won't get your mcat score until next month (which is getting a little late, imo), and you'll be applying with a 3.2. If you apply next year you can apply with a higher gpa and polished, pre-written essays. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely DO. your GPA is very low, even for some DO schools if it is 3.2. I hope you get that up. your MCAT of 506 is low as well. some DO schools have an avg matriculating MCAT of 509.
If you are going to apply to DO you need to shadow some DOs. I would start calling every DO in your city and see who will allow you to shadow them. some DO schools even require a LOR from a DO.

Good luck!

You would be better off to apply next June after you have hopefully raised your GPA. Let us know what your MCAT score is when it is available in September and we can advise you further.